Bypassing the Brake Compensator?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Kent124

Re: Bypassing the Brake Compensator?

Post by Kent124 »

maytag wrote:And I don't mind telling you that 'spect I drive my car harder than 99% of you.
Neat.
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

Kent124 wrote:
maytag wrote:And I don't mind telling you that 'spect I drive my car harder than 99% of you.
Neat.
yup.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

ask anyone in So Cal that has attended one of our canyon runs about whether or not my car has had brake issues while flying through the mountain roads. I can tell you that I absolutely flog that car on those runs and have never experienced rear lock up. But hey, if you like the compensator, by all means keep it. I'm just offering an alternative to those who want it.
KalamazooJohnny
Your car is a: 1976 spider 1977 spider 1965 1100D

Post by KalamazooJohnny »

Wow. Thanks everyone. I posted that one day after being frustrated with laying under the car trying to bend all the new brake lines around to that new compensator. Didn't expect that much response. Still have the two short lines that run along the axel to finish up, I did install the compensator. Hopefully without any leaks anywhere. Maybe I will finish up this weekend. Thanks again everyone.
"Get used to people calling it an MG. Hardly anybody recalls Fiats, but people remember MGs because they once saw one on fire." -Corey Farley, Autoweek January 20, 2003
76spider
77spider
65 1100D
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

So Cal Mark wrote:SNIP... hey, if you like the compensator, by all means keep it. I'm just offering an alternative to those who want it.
Thumbs up
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
124ADDHE
Your car is a: 1974 Spider Amalgamation with C40 Solex

Post by 124ADDHE »

Good point about the lowered car factor.

I do like the engineering of the thing, so long as it works and doesnt leak, im keeping it.
Regards,
Keith Cox
1973 124 Spider
1973 John Deere 500c backhoe
1987 Jaguar VDP
2013 passat tdi
2015 cherokee
coise

Post by coise »

I agree with Mark, I drive my car in the french Alps and I removed the damned thing. After trying to adjust it for days by trial and error and also by following to the letter the procedure in the book ( weight in the car etc...). The way this compensator is build it is very difficult to adjust properly. You have to bend or to force on the hoses connected to it.
If you keep it, GOOD LUCK ADJUSTING IT PROPERLY...
My advice is to remove the @*&#% thing and put some more powerful brake in the front. :wink:
sida555
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina

Post by sida555 »

What is the best way to bypass the compensator ? cut the line and flare it with a fitting ?
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

What is the best way to bypass the compensator ? cut the line and flare it with a fitting ?
Replace the line on that side. You need bubble flare for the flange at the end.