ideas for what comes next

General chat about the car goes in here.
markko
Your car is a: 1978 spider

ideas for what comes next

Post by markko »

I have a 1978 and am looking for upgrade ideas, without getting too crazy. (I should say that I am relatively competent DIY mechanic, but am limited to things that can be done while laying on the garage floor with the car raised.) I have already installed the electronic ignition. I have a Weber 32/36 carb that is running great. I have installed relays for the headlights, wipers, and starter. I have removed all the smog stuff. Earlier this spring I replaced the control arms, ball joints, and tie rod ends. She just got back from the shop where the rear seal was replaced, along with the transmission seals and rear differential pinion seal. (This was a bridge too far for a self-taught amateur like me.)

The car is currently running great, but I am always looking for the next project, and would welcome any suggestions for upgrades. The obvious one is the gear reduction starter.

Thoughts and ideas?

Thanks.
markko

Re: ideas for what comes next

Post by markko »

I should have mentioned that the car has the mechanical fuel pump. I assume it’s the original, but I don’t know for sure. From the previous owner I inherited an electronic fuel pump, but haven’t installed it. Would that be worth doing, while I have the intake manifold off to install the starter? I have had no trouble at all with the mechanical pump.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

markko wrote:The car is currently running great, but I am always looking for the next project, and would welcome any suggestions for upgrades. The obvious one is the gear reduction starter.
If the car is running great, often the best advice is to "leave well enough alone." But, a gear reduction starter is a good improvement, and it sounds like you've already done the obvious upgrades.

In terms of upgrades, were you thinking cosmetic? Performance? Reliability? Comfort?

Another common upgrade is wheels and tires. Beefier looking, and with sizes more common in today's cars.

The only other thing that comes to mind right now is to upgrade the original fuse box with a more modern version of automotive fuses. The original fuse box with its crappy fuses (mostly bad contacts) is a source of frustration for many.

-Bryan
markko

Post by markko »

Thanks Bryan. Although I would love new wheels and tires, that's more than I am looking to spend at the moment. I would say that I am after reliability and comfort more than anything else. I guess I have or will have got the low-hanging fruit, and after the starter I'll probably leave things alone. I just like to tinker.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

If you're good at woodworking, another really nice upgrade is to make a set of custom wood dash panels (gauges, center, glovebox) and the wood panel around the gear shift lever.

-Bryan
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

replace the original seatbelt buzzer with the chime from the 1980 and later models if you actually want that reminder.
install footwell lights so when the door opens you can see
install LEDS in the dash if you have not dome that.
replace the clock with an oil pressure gauge
add a passenger side side mirror

Just some suggestions....

dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

The gear reduction starter has been a great upgrade for me. I think the relays are a very wise investment. Assume you have already inspected brake lines and fuel lines to ensure rubber hoses are in good order. If not, that is a good place to put a few dollars. I agree with the LED dash light switch over as well as some night lighting. If you remove the carpet you can use the old carpet as a template, cut new carpet and install for very little. I've never had any use for the back seat and used some plywood and a roll of black vinyl to create a storage compartment in the back. You could spend years doing little things that you like to the car. Being able to change the car and maintain some Italian style is one of the things that make it so much fun. Some might argue to keep it stock all around. Cool.. Do what you like over time and enjoy.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
markko

Post by markko »

Thanks for your input everyone. The starter is definitely next. I like the idea of LED dash lights, the wood dash panels and the oil pressure gauge. It seems to me that I should do all of these at the same time, as the dash would only need to be pulled apart once. The wheels will probably have to wait until I get my cheque from that nice Nigerian prince I'm helping to move his money.
81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

replace brake lines .... take out the cat with a test pipe.... check center guibo support thing on drive shaft... check all bolts of previous work done.... add rocket launcher for bad drivers around you..Matt
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

make use of factory wiring to install motorized antenna in rear fender (if you have a radio)
refurbish taillight cards (clean all contacts and remove bulb sockets, clean corrosion underneath and reinstall). Add LEDs if desired
remove black tar on floors, repaint and install sound deadening
add front spoiler
add foglights
add pinstriping

these are all relatively cheap activities, with more labour than parts.....

have fun
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger