Gotta love that wiring . . .
FiatJim
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1973 spider refurbished

Key ignition

Post by FiatJim »

Greetings,

I just moved to the Greensboro [McLeansville] area.
Of course, before I moved, the darn car wouldn't start. Well, it started once. I fiddle with the wires going into/out of the key ignition and it started so I could get it moved from storage to my house. Now, when I turn the key, all dashboard lights light up, with good intensity, but the starter doesn't activate. I don't hear any clicks or sounds from the starter.

Since I had just fiddled with the key ignition, I guess that is where the problem lies. I am unable to get a clear look at the backside of the ignition switch. I will appreciate ideas, offers, suggestions and advice.

Thanks,

Jim Herzog
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Key ignition

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Jim, there is one set of contacts inside the switch to activate the starter, and one set to power the ignition and dash lights and stuff. And a couple other contacts but they're not relevant to starting the car. One possible reason for your starter not working is that the set of contacts inside the ignition for that purpose have gone bad (it happens), or the wire connected to the rear of the switch for the starter has come loose (that can happen too).

Try this: While holding the key in the "Start" position, try wiggling the cluster of wires at the rear of the switch. See if anything happens with the starter, even if momentarily.

If you don't have any luck with that, I'm afraid it's "get out the voltmeter and start doing some checks" time. Another possibility is the red wire to the starter motor solenoid has come loose, either directly at the solenoid or at the 3-wire plastic connector that leads to the firewall.

By the way, the wire for the starter solenoid operation is a thick red wire connected to terminal #50 on the back of the ignition switch. Turning the key to "Start" connects terminal 30 (+12V) to terminal 50 which then activates the starter solenoid.

-Bryan