3D Printed Vent Hole Covers

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
KillerB
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

3D Printed Vent Hole Covers

Post by KillerB »

It's nice to finally get Sophia out of the garage, and show off my first prototype vent hole cover. It was a bit of a challenge getting the shape right, and I think I'm pretty close to a perfect fit. (designed to click into place, no tools reqr'd)

Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: 3D Printed Vent Hole Covers

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Brian, those look awesome! I wonder if the various Fiat vendors would be interested, if you could produce these in large quantities?

-Bryan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Brian, those look awesome! I wonder if the various Fiat vendors would be interested, if you could produce these in large quantities?

-Bryan

I could probably crank out a pair every 4 hours or so. What's on the car now is printed in PLA, so it isn't very durable. Not sure if the final product will be printed in PETG or ABS, but I still have some small tweaks and adjustments to make.

If there's enough interest I might make a run of 10 or so sets, and sell some before I make the model available on Thingiverse.

-Brian
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

That looks really great. Once you finalize the design and have an idea what you might sell them for, I’d be interested. I’d also be very interested if they could be printed more like a turn signal look. I also happen to live a few miles from AutoRicambi and Vicks and could swing by and show them a pair installed. Email me when you’re ready to produce a few. Derekdbender@gmail.com
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

Those do look great, i wonder if they could be modified to insert a specific set of turn signals into the plastic, i dont know if the ones in the bumper could be reused, but i am sure a set of some size might work. Basically you would be building and adapter flange. Just a thought for those who might want their lights closer to the corners.
but great work
dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

TheBender wrote:That looks really great. Once you finalize the design and have an idea what you might sell them for, I’d be interested. I’d also be very interested if they could be printed more like a turn signal look. I also happen to live a few miles from AutoRicambi and Vicks and could swing by and show them a pair installed. Email me when you’re ready to produce a few. Derekdbender@gmail.com
I was thinking $60 would be undervaluing, but anything over $80 would put people off since shipping from Canada is so expensive. I have to get around to finishing my printer enclosure so I can print ABS (it gives off a bad smell and hazardous VOCs when printing), that will determine the amount of time/material each set will require.

The cover was designed so I could switch out the middle for turn signals, or fog/running lights.
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

dinghyguy wrote:Those do look great, i wonder if they could be modified to insert a specific set of turn signals into the plastic, i dont know if the ones in the bumper could be reused, but i am sure a set of some size might work. Basically you would be building and adapter flange. Just a thought for those who might want their lights closer to the corners.
but great work
dinghyguy
The original bumper signals are a bit large, but there are lights out there that might work better.

Once I've perfected the fit, I'll be designing a different centre, to replace the louvers. I just got to shop around for a suitable generic front signal light.
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

[/quote]

The original bumper signals are a bit large, but there are lights out there that might work better.

Once I've perfected the fit, I'll be designing a different centre, to replace the louvers. I just got to shop around for a suitable generic front signal light.[/quote]

I used some small LED that work well and put them inside a signal housing. Maybe they will spark an idea or two.

fiatjack
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by fiatjack »

are you possibly able to still make these?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Sent you a PM.
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Sent you a PM.
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

fiatjack wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:44 pm are you possibly able to still make these?

Sent you a PM.
Brian G. Butler
Colby Village
Nova Scotia, Canada
'79 Fiat 2000
Nessus85
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Nessus85 »

I've got a Bambu P1S and would like to print these for my 82 if you would be able to share the STL?