How to check oil the correct way? And leaking oil issue.

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
WadiaAbushanab
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

How to check oil the correct way? And leaking oil issue.

Post by WadiaAbushanab »

Hello everyone. I have a 1980 Fiat spider 2000. It leaks oil so I have to add more every once in a while, but I need to know the correct way to check. Should I check the dipstick with the engine cold? Or should I let the car run for a little, then shut it off and check?

Also, whenever I add oil to it, it starts to spit oil out of the exhaust once I turn it on. It seems to go away after a little while but still. Am I overfilling it? What’s causing this?
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: How to check oil the correct way? And leaking oil issue.

Post by Nut124 »

If you check it after the car has been sitting cold, all the oil will be down in the sump.

If you check right after running, there is some oil up in the head cam boxes, perhaps 1/2 quart, but also the hot oil expands so it might be that the level in the sump is about the same.

Are you sure it is oil coming out of the tail pipe? Does any blue smoke come out?
WadiaAbushanab

Post by WadiaAbushanab »

When I stick my hand in front of the exhaust, it spits out oil all over my hand. It’ll go away after I drive it for a little while however so I don’t know why it initially does it. And with your explanation of oil levels, does that mean I should check after running the engine?
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by redcars »

I believe you have bad valve stem seals, that would let oil run down the exhast valves when you put oil in it. The seals can be replaced with the engine in the car and the head on the engine. I did this with my 82 and when from using a qt in 500 miles to no oil between oil changes.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe
WadiaAbushanab

Post by WadiaAbushanab »

Ok I’ll be sure to fix that. And when you check the oil, did you check it cold, or did you let it run for a little and then shut it off and check? Thanks.
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

I'm rather skeptical about oil coming out of tail pipe.

Often, when an engine is started cold, it runs very rich, until it warmes up. What comes out of tail pipe is water, unburned hydrocarbons and black soot. This is not abnormal in it self. Once the engine is hot, the water is hot vapor and does not show up.

If oil were coming out of tail pipe I would expect lots of blue smoke upon deceleration. Do you see that?

OP, what problem are you trying to solve? An oil leak?

If you are trying to assess oil consumption, then, always check the level the same way, either hot or cold, does not matter as long as you record the level at the same conditions. Up to a qt per 1000 miles is often considered "normal".

Look for signs of leaks on the floor and oil under the body.
WadiaAbushanab

Post by WadiaAbushanab »

I don’t believe I saw any blue smoke. Maybe it is just soot. You couldn’t see anything coming out of it, no smoke or anything, but once you put your hand in front of it, you get covered in what appears to be oil. And I leak oil out the bottom. I think it’s where the transmission meets the engine, so I constantly have to add more oil to the engine. But I just want to make sure I know the correct oil levels so I don’t over fill it, or don’t run it too low.