Why won't this old Spider jut Run ?

General chat about the car goes in here.
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Re: Why won't this old Spider jut Run ?

Post by SpiderGuy »

The old Air Flow Sensor is very dirty inside and has
Corrosion on many parts inside but it does make the Fuel Pump Run when the Air Flap is opened and the Key is in the ON position.

Is that all it needs to do or does it also send critical airflow data to the ECU/Fuel Injection?

Trying to decide if I should return/refund the new one I bought or return the old one for Core Charge refund.

Pic of old dirty corroded Sensor...

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

If you have fuel pressure at the rail then the pump is working. You know you have spark because you have overrode the air intake letting fuel pas into the cylinder via the air intake valves. So you have air and spark. You could do your fuel supply trick through the intake and place a long screwdriver against the injector and the other side against your ear to hear if the injectors are clicking/firing. My guess is an electrical issue in the injector circuit because the Bosh Ljet injectors are know to be pretty durable and still squirt fuel even after sitting for a long time.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Oh Yeah the old clicking sound if the injectors are firing..I'll try listening for them doing their thing (or Not) like you suggested. Good Thinking 8)
I have this Stethoscope type listening device works even better than the old screw driver handle in the ear trick....I'll give it a go and see what I can hear...Cheers
Keith

rvwinkle
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 2000 Spider

Post by rvwinkle »

Hi! I see it's been awhile since the last post here. I'm a new member and just got my spider running last week. I have a long story similar to yours. And I'll tell the whole story if any one wants to hear it. Anyway, I think your injectors are plugged, as were mine.

The turning point for me was using "NOID" test lights. These lights connect to the injector leads and will blink if all of the complicated electronics are working.

I bought a set of ABN lights from Amazon. I've heard these can be loaned or rented from various auto parts stores too.

I cleaned the injectors myself. All in all, I would use Rock Auto's cleaning service (I did with the one I dropped!) if I found it necessary to do it again.

Best of luck!
Lee
radeznc
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Sipder 2000

Post by radeznc »

rvwinkle, did your noid lights blink?
I'm not getting pulse to my injectors. I put in new injectors but can't get the noid lights to blink. I have another thread on all the things I've checked. Just curious if your problem was purely injectors or if you had to troubleshoot the electronics too?
rvwinkle
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 2000 Spider

Post by rvwinkle »

radeznc wrote:rvwinkle, did your noid lights blink?
I'm not getting pulse to my injectors. I put in new injectors but can't get the noid lights to blink. I have another thread on all the things I've checked. Just curious if your problem was purely injectors or if you had to troubleshoot the electronics too?
The noid lights blinked for me. I was pretty happy about this since my car had A/C and access to the computer was seriously limited.

Lee
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

After about the last 1 year of placing this Spider project on the back burner, I'm back on track to get the old Roadster back on the road.
With some Expert help from James the Electrical Guru at a shop here in Colorado Springs, Colorado called AutoWerks we have managed to get the engine running. There were multiple problems James worked thru but long story short, it FINALLY fires right up and runs like it should. Many THANKS to JAMES !! Poor guy ended up pulling out quite a few of the remaining hairs he had left.

Turned out the main culprit that kept the injectors from firing was the wires going into #4 injector were shorting out and preventing ALL injectors from grounding. Also the Big Brown Wire from the Ignition Switch to the Starter which in turn supplies voltage to the ECU was only sending 7 volts instead of full 12 volts

Here are 2 pics of the shop print outs as they may help others to find and fix similar malfunctions.

Last edited by SpiderGuy on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Before I towed it in to James at AutoWerks I had pulled the dash pad off and freed up all the wires that were hidden under the dash so that James could have easy access to everything.

So now that the Engine is finally running again, I will work to Reinstall the Dash and Gauges and get all the loose Wiring Harness all tucked back into place where it belongs. Looks like a crazy mess when its all exposed, but I'll get it all sorted out. Zappy Shorty electrics drive me bonkers so I was very happy that James was willing to take on this task