Why won't this old Spider jut Run ?

General chat about the car goes in here.
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Why won't this old Spider jut Run ?

Post by SpiderGuy »

Why won't it run on it's own like it should?
1981 2000 Bosch Fuel Injected
Will keep running as long as I trickle gas into the intake thru the makeshift Funnel (see Picture #1 attached)..but stops running when I stop trickling gas into the funnel and it runs out of gas.

New Electric Fuel Pump and Filter
Test light hooked to positive connection at the fuel Pump is Light On when in start or running positions and goes off when engine stops.

Fuel Tank Hot Tank Boiled and Cleaned like new
Fuel Lines blown clean, and good fuel into fuel injector rail.
New Rebuilt Mass Air Flow Sensor
New Throttle Position Sensor
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
New Ignition Switch
Boiled and Cleaned out Gas Tank.
blown 16 amp inline Fuel Injection fuse replaced with a new one

What else do I need to check or replace so it will fire up and run like it should?
Injectors? Electrics?
Where is the Fuel Injector Relay Located? I see it on the wiring diagram but I have not been able to find it anywhere under the dash ?

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: Why won't this old Spider jut Run ?

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Double relay is under the glovebox
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

ORFORD2004 wrote:Double relay is under the glovebox
OK Thanx, I located it under the Dash and have ordered a new one from midwest-bayless.com $81.38 should be here in 2 days and we will see if that was the problem.

If I keep replacing parts at some point the old Spider will just have to give up and start running again.. :lol: .. its the time tested just keep throwing new parts $$ at it technique

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I'd normally jump in and offer advice, but my knowledge of fuel injection is almost nonexistent. I will offer a couple thoughts:

1. Repair shops are pretty good at diagnosing fuel injection, so if all else fails....
2. There's another Fiat forum website at Mirafiori.com. You can join, and the library section there has a fuel injection diagnostic guide which I hear is very useful.

By the way, I liked the photo of you pouring gas in the funnel. Thanks for the chuckle.

-Bryan
ORFORD2004

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Be shure that you don't plug the pump backward. Reverse the polarity or check for fuel flow at the cold start injector
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Replacing parts in lieu of troubleshooting is an expensive way to get a car running.

I would disconnect the hose from the cold start valve and check the fuel pressure in the rail. It should be around 30 PSI for the injectors to work. .
One can purchase a mechanical fuel pressure gauge , 5/16 fuel injection hose and a "T" fitting for under $50.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:I'd normally jump in and offer advice, but my knowledge of fuel injection is almost nonexistent. I will offer a couple thoughts:

1. Repair shops are pretty good at diagnosing fuel injection, so if all else fails....
2. There's another Fiat forum website at Mirafiori.com. You can join, and the library section there has a fuel injection diagnostic guide which I hear is very useful.

By the way, I liked the photo of you pouring gas in the funnel. Thanks for the chuckle.

-Bryan
Bryan, thanks for the info...I did purchase the hard Copy 58 pg Fuel Injection Trouble Shooting Gide Book for Bosch L-Jet Fuel Injection and I am studying it now while sipping some Crown Royal on crushed ice.
If I can't figure it out it will be at least helpful in the hands of a morel savvy Technician than my Bubbaness can understand.

:D The Motor does run good and smooth when I trickle the gas in to my Bubba Duct Taped on Funnel as I operate the Throttle Butterfly by hand. Takes some coordination between gas dribble and air flow and it revs right up real good, Engine sounds Strong.

I just could not persuade my wife to operate it like that while hanging onto the fender so I could drive it around the block a few times. So I will figure out what is the dilemma and get the little beauty going one way or the other.
Keith
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

spider2081 wrote:Replacing parts in lieu of troubleshooting is an expensive way to get a car running.

I would disconnect the hose from the cold start valve and check the fuel pressure in the rail. It should be around 30 PSI for the injectors to work. .
One can purchase a mechanical fuel pressure gauge , 5/16 fuel injection hose and a "T" fitting for under $50.
Ok Thanx, sounds like good advice, I will buy a Fuel Pressure Gauge and I also need a Hand Held Vacuum Pump needed to relieve Fuel pressure at the Regulator.

Yes for sure, my "Throw a Bunch of New Parts At It" Technique is more expensive that trouble shooting but, I don't mind spending some money $$ to replace 42 year old parts with brand new ones and keep the old parts as spares, if they are still working.

Thanks, Keith
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

ORFORD2004 wrote:Be shure that you don't plug the pump backward. Reverse the polarity or check for fuel flow at the cold start injector
Thanks, The Pump has 2 different size Spade type Connectors , a big one for the Positive Green/Blk wire and a small one for the Wht/Blk Ground wire so the pump is wired right and pumping in the right direction. It has fuel and pressure up to the Fuel Rail and Regulator, just not getting thru the injectors for some reason yet to be solved
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by redcars »

It will never keep running with that massive air leak where that funnel is. That air is not going through the meter. The fuel pump runs at two times, 1st when the starter is engaged, 2nd when the key is in the run position an air is going through the meter. By having the funnel no air is going through the meter. To check your double relay remove the air hose to the meter, now with the key on reach in and move the flapper. You should hear the fuel pump run. If the fuel pump runs the double relay and the fuel pump is good.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Thanks Redcars I will check out those things.

In the mean time with the helpful advice of local forum member WFBT2 Walt I have isolated yet another problem. The wires for the Pickup inside the Distributor Cap were fried crispy as toast, when I barely touched one it crumbled away into pieces. Amazing that it ran at all like that.

ORFORD2004

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Is there a place in the back of the head where all injectors ground are connected?
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Post by tima01864 »

Set the throttle positioner switch. Will the engine run if turn in the idle screw opening the throttle? With the key on start and you open the flap in the AFM can you hear the fuel pump?
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

ORFORD2004 wrote:Is there a place in the back of the head where all injectors ground are connected?
It has these 2 big wires Grounded to the rear of the Air Intake Manifold. Are those the ones you are asking about?

ORFORD2004

Post by ORFORD2004 »

yes