Rocker, Chrome, Sill

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rodo
Your car is a: 1981 Spider

Rocker, Chrome, Sill

Post by rodo »

Trying to screw it all back together and am unsure about order and what might go underneath...and where. So, rocker first, just screw it into the rail under the door. Okay, then chrome strip, kind of shoved in there? Seems the strip had something under it, like black goo. Just to keep things from squeaking? Sill goes on top of that. Under the sill? Same drill? Just to keep it from constantly being metal-to-metal rubbing? Other hints? Thanks, all.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Rocker, Chrome, Sill

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Here's what I know, Rodo:

The roughly 5 foot long chrome trim strip attaches to the outer rocker panel with screws at either end. This assembly gets screwed onto the car with 3 or 4 screws down underneath, and 2 or 3 small sheet metal screws in the door threshold. There is a 3 foot long "half pipe" chrome trim strip that goes over the door weatherstripping at the bottom, and that is screwed through the carpeting to the metal below (with 3 or 4 screws). The door threshold plate (the ribbed one about 3 feet long and 4 inches wide) screws onto the door threshold with 3 or 4 screws, going through the outer rocker panel metal as well.

Does that make sense?

-Bryan
rodo

Post by rodo »

Makes perfect sense, Bryan, but what about any materials that go under the various bits? For example, the ribbed chrome plate that goes atop everything had a kind of black burlap strip underneath. Only one side of that survived on my car. Was wondering about other material, butyl tape?
18Fiatsandcounting

Ooops, thanks Rodo, I forgot to mention the black "goo". I'm not really sure what it does, but I've seen it in black form as well as a grey colored putty like material. The latter appears to be the same stuff that was used to seal the doors in the inner door skin where the window crank handle goes through, and the 3 nuts each that hold the door latch handle and window regulator to the inner door skin.

As best I can tell, it's just there to prevent metal parts from rattling, although maybe it acts as a moisture barrier as well. Under the door sill, it would keep water (rain, puddles) from passing under the sill into the car.

I would imagine any sort of house weatherstripping "tape" would work fine. Even putting down a zig-zag pattern of silicone window/door caulk (like for houses) would work, and you get your choice of colors!

The cynical side of me believes that one of the design engineers had a nephew who owned a putty factory, and this nephew needed some extra business.

-Bryan
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

I'm unsure of the original makeup of those strips of black "gooey" stuff, but my '79 was missing the drivers' side, so when I finished the door threshold out, I used some 'Window and Door flashing tape' as a replacement,...it is made of butyl rubber - self-adhesive one side, shiny black finish on the other.
It will shed water and protect from vibration just like the original (and will probably last forever!).
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
rodo

Post by rodo »

Excellent. Already got some of that tape so I think I have all in order to screw it all together (and hopefully not screw it all up).
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

rodo wrote:Makes perfect sense, Bryan, but what about any materials that go under the various bits? For example, the ribbed chrome plate that goes atop everything had a kind of black burlap strip underneath. Only one side of that survived on my car. Was wondering about other material, butyl tape?
Only the passenger side had it, right?
18Fiatsandcounting

toyfiats wrote:
rodo wrote:Makes perfect sense, Bryan, but what about any materials that go under the various bits? For example, the ribbed chrome plate that goes atop everything had a kind of black burlap strip underneath. Only one side of that survived on my car. Was wondering about other material, butyl tape?
Only the passenger side had it, right?
I thought both sides had it, but I never really paid that much attention. Most of my spiders were (are) early models, and for those, it was a grey putty of sorts. I can think of only 4 reasons for this stuff:
1. Assembly aid? Way too much of it for that.
2. Sound deadening? Seriously, with all the other noise sources on the spiders?
3. Anti-rattle? Possibly, but there are plenty of other rattling parts in competition.
4. Water barrier? Possibly, but there are plenty of other entry points for water.

I just ended up leaving it off as I couldn't see any compelling reason for the stuff. Other than the nephew with the putty factory... :D

-Bryan
rodo

Post by rodo »

That is very weird: I don't remember if it were only one or both sides. One of my rockers was rusted up so I assumed... I think you are correct: only one side had it. I've still got it and it seems too large to fit under the sill chrome. Well, whatever it was for, I'm not using the tape, will make sure it is install so it cannot hold water under the sill chrome, and it should last forever.
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

When I restored my Spider I was fortunate that there was still a local second-generation one man Fiat-only shop that I could bounce questions off of. My Spider (which I've owned since it had 30k miles on it) only had the black burlap strip on the passenger side and when I asked my Fiat guru why there wasn't one on the driver's side and where I could get one he said that strip was "a mistake" and should never have been used, as it was a water trap. Sure enough when I did a cosmetic restoration on a friend's '81 (also purchased from the original owner) the only spot of rust was on the top of the passenger side rocker where that strip was.

I still need to put something under mine as it makes a little noise when you scrape over it, but I've been reluctant to use silicone as I won't want something that will make removing it in the future difficult.
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Post by SpiderGuy »

I recently Stripped an original interior out of a 1981 124 and found there was a thin clear plastic film underneath each 1" wide Carpet Trim Strip. The clear plastic film was between the 1" wide Carpet Trim piece and the Carpet. The thin plastic film between the Carpet and the Trim Strip did keep that tiny strip of carpet clean and fresh just like new..hahah.. the entire rest of the carpet was FUBAR TOXIC COVID

My guess is during assembly the entire carpet had a clear plastic film over it for protection during assembly and transportation and then as part of dealer prep they removed all of the protective plastic from the new carpet but did not remove it from under the trim piece, (just cut along the edge with a razor). For reassembly I would not replace the plastic film.
-Keith

There was nothing but dust in between the Door Sill and the 2 1/2' wide Door Sill Trim Plate. I don't think these pieces had ever been removed so I think they were all original as Turin factory guys had assembled them.

Last edited by SpiderGuy on Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

[/Quote] I still need to put something under mine as it makes a little noise when you scrape over it, but I've been reluctant to use silicone as I won't want something that will make removing it in the future difficult.[/quote]

For reassembly I would not put anything between the Door Sill and the Trim Cover Panel. I have removed and replaced many of these Door Sill Trim Strips from many different makes and models of cars and no factory ones had any tape or gooo. But I have seen many Bubba mods with everything from putty to glue to tape and tobaaccy :D
-Keith
18Fiatsandcounting

SpiderGuy wrote:the entire rest of the carpet was FUBAR TOXIC COVID
Well, thank goodness there was no Legionnaire's Disease that you had to deal with...

I think you're right about the clear protective film: It was here to protect the carpet during various assembly stages, and then was cut out with a razor blade once the car was ready for the dealer showroom.

Put it all back together, see if you have any loose rattles or other issues, and deal with those. Don't fuss with the black goo, grey putty, or the nepotism-seeking nephew.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

A little trick I have used on a few things where I wanted to fill a space with silicone or expanding foam but I did not want the 2 pieces to be glued together.

Apply a sheet of adhesive Plastic Wrap like Glad Press'nSeal on both pieces then put your layer of silicone or expanding foam in between and reassemble. The Silicone or Gluey Expanding Foam will stick to the plastic wrap but will not come into contact with the Door Sill or the Trim Panel.

It makes a perfectly fitting gasket between the 2 parts and you can take them apart and reuse the form fitted custom gasket again when reassembling

You could use wax paper or other stuff but the Press'nSeal works great because it has a slightly sticky glue on it that holds it in place, but peels off easily

SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

toyfiats wrote: I still need to put something under mine as it makes a little noise when you scrape over it, but I've been reluctant to use silicone as I won't want something that will make removing it in the future difficult.
Try the Press'nSeal plastic wrap trick ..works like magic.

After the Silicone gasket sets up you can take the 2 pieces back apart and trim the gasket as needed if some of it oozed out from between the 2 parts

If you want the Silicone to stick to one of the parts just don't put the Plastic wrap on that part.

You can also use the Plastic Wrap trick if you don't want to stick to your underwear too badly :P