Neutral Safety Switch Location? for 2000 Spider

Gotta love that wiring . . .
SpiderGuy
Your car is a: 1981 Pininfarina Spider 2000 5 spd

Neutral Safety Switch Location? for 2000 Spider

Post by SpiderGuy »

does anyone know..Where is the Neutral Safety Switch is located on a 1981 Spider 2000? 5 Speed Manual

Trying to figure out why the starter is not working when the key is turned to start position.
Bad Starter? Bad Ignition Switch? Bad Neutral Safety Switch? Fuses?

I suspect may have a problem with the Ignition switch because Fuel pump works when key is in the start position, but fuel pump stops when key is in run position.

I just bought my first Spider and have just started cleaning it up and trying to get it running. I need to find the Neutral Safety Switch and test it to see if it is working but I do not know where it is located.

Thanks for any info
Last edited by SpiderGuy on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Neutral Safety Switch Location? for 2000 Spider

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Unless you have an automatic transmission, I'm not aware of any neutral safety switch. Power for the starter motor solenoid comes from a red wire that connects the ignition switch to the solenoid, and it's pretty common for either the ignition switch to go bad or the red wire to have a loose connection at one end or the other.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage on that red wire connection at the back of the ignition switch. If you don't see 12 volts when you turn the key to start (make sure the car is in neutral for safety), your switch is likely bad. If you see 12 volts but no action from the starter, the next step is to check the red wire for issues.

You can also try wiggling the wires at the back of the ignition switch as you turn the key to start. Sometimes the engine will start up, which is a pretty good sign of either a bad switch or a bad connection at the back of the switch.

If by chance you do have an automatic, I believe the neutral safety switch is part of the backup light switch on the transmission. It's still likely the problem is with the ignition switch or the wiring, though.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Thanks Bryan,

It is a Manual 5 Speed , so I'm not sure if it does have a neutral safety switch.

I will check the ignition switch as you suggested.
The Ignition Switch is also not powering the fuel pump when in the on position. The fuel pump works when the key is in the start position, but stops when the key is returned to the run position.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

I just now Checked the red wire at the Ignition switch and it does show 12 volts when the key is turned to start position.
Last edited by SpiderGuy on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

I found a Red wire down by the starter that is hanging loose.

It has 12 volt power when the key is turned to start position, so I suspect it is supposed to give power to the Starter Solenoid.

Is the location where the wire is supposed to be attached to the Solenoid a small tab Just above the Big Green wire on the starter?

Sorry I have 2 good pictures but have not figured how to attach them.. How do I attach pictures ?
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by redcars »

There's no neutral safety switch on 5 speeds and the fuel pump is not supposed to run with the ignition switch in the on position. They fuel pump only runs with the ignition switch in the start position or with the car running. The switch that turns on the fuel pump with the car running is in the air meter box. If you want to check the pump turn the key to the on position and take the air hose off the air meter box move the flapper. The pump should run.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

Thanks for the info REDCARS. This is my first Spider and I am kind of handicapped until my new Service and Owners manual are delivered.

Really hoping to get this old Spider running soon.

Those Starter wires just about require a tiny little Leprechaun to shimmy down in there and get to them.. I'll remove the Washer Tank, Evap Can and Alternator and see if that gives me some clearance to get that loose RED Wire hooked back up to the Starter Solenoid
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Sounds like you found the problem, Spiderman, errr, I mean Spiderguy! :D

Reconnecting that red wire can be a pain. The female connector pushes onto a male spade lug on the solenoid that points towards the front of the car, and is right around where the large cable connects from the battery. The connector often loosens up with time and vibration, so you might carefully tighten up the female connector a bit with pliers before pushing it back on.

The male spade lug on the solenoid is often recessed in the phenolic plastic end cap of the solenoid, so you kind of have to reconnect it by feel. I use a small mirror to get a good look at the end of the solenoid, and then keep that mental image in mind as I feel around and reconnect the red wire.

Disconnect the battery before messing around with the starter connections.

-Bryan
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

VICTORY !!!..hooking up the Loose Red Wire to the Starter Solenoid solved the Starter not cranking problem.

Thanks Guys for the tips on what to check...

One small victory for Man..one Great Victory for Fiat-kind

Now on to putting everything back together..get some fresh gas and see if it will run.

This Spider had not ran for 5 or 6 years and was sold to me from a craigslist add when the owner could not figure out why it would not start.
Really looking forward to getting it back on the road.

Thanks again Guys ( both Bryan18FiatsandCounting and RedCars) for taking the time to give me tips for repairs :D
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

OK I figured out how to Post PICS..
Last edited by SpiderGuy on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »

SpiderGuy

Post by SpiderGuy »