Mystery coating

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
jeff1
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider 124

Re: Mystery coating

Post by jeff1 »

dinghyguy wrote:Are you planning to reinstall the little triangle drains?
Yeah, it's a bit hard to see from this angle, but they are still there. They had been filled in with body filler/epoxy previously, but I cleaned them out and I'm planning to keep them open.
jeff1

Post by jeff1 »

Some followup pics.

Top coated with Rustoleum, put new plugs in:

Put Kilmat on it. I did look into using Peel-and-seal as was suggested, but the Kilmat was comparably priced: about $60 for 36 square feet of 80 mil, which was just enough:

Cleaning the filthy carpets with a power washer and some dish soap:

Carpets reinstalled:

Et voila, ~100 hours of labor and it's visibly and functionally pretty much identical to when I started. :P Okay, I should probably get back to... making it move under its own power. :oops:
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

jeff1 wrote:Et voila, ~100 hours of labor and it's visibly and functionally pretty much identical to when I started. :P Okay, I should probably get back to... making it move under its own power. :oops:
But think of the satisfaction of a job well done, man!

Eagerly awaiting to see pics of the engine work. Total rebuild, or ???

-Bryan
jeff1

Post by jeff1 »

EM57 motor from a Nissan Leaf :D

A maximum of 215 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque.

I'm waiting for some parts to arrive on the electrical side, and am working on fabricating a connection. My current plan is to make a 3d printed stainless steel shaft coupler (https://www.sculpteo.com/en/materials/f ... e-17-4-ph/). I've designed and printed some plastic sections to test fit and ensure I have the spline profile correct:

Then ordering laser/waterjet cut mounting plates

I created a new tray and moved the 12v battery from the trunk to the engine bay, as I'm planning on moving some of the traction batteries into the trunk (I'm also thinking of putting a bunch in the "back seat" area, to keep the weight forward, but there isn't quite enough room for all of them).

A lot of work left to do still.