Turn signal problem

Gotta love that wiring . . .
paulwall
Your car is a: fiat spider 1977

Turn signal problem

Post by paulwall »

Hi haven’t driven the car for a few years getting it ready for inspection.problem with flasher signal. Hazards work good. Found relay dead. Had a old relay in parts box tested ok. But not working on the car. Dose the spider need the correct relay? Have put a jumper wire across the violet and grey wires and get lights but no flash. I have order a new flasher unit. Is there anything else that it could be ??
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Turn signal problem

Post by spider2081 »

I think a 77 Spider has 2 flashers one for the hazards and one for the turn signals. The Hazard switch selects which flasher is powered. Jumping the Gray wire to the violet wire at the turn flasher connector should tested the hazard switch operation.
The turn signal flasher looks like its the problem.

I like to remove all the turn signal bulbs clean the sockets and bulb bases when I experience a signal problem. The quality of the connections in the signal circuit is very critical as the flasher depends on the circuit resistance to function properly.
The turn flasher is known to be voltage sensitive and sometimes only operates when the engine is running and the alternator is putting out close to 14 volts.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I agree with what spider2081 mentioned above. In addition, I have found that some turn signal flasher relays work well, some work but very slowly, and some don't work at all. Generic flasher units from your local retailer often don't work in the Fiats. I hate to say it, but sometimes I have to try a couple different flasher relays before I find one that works properly.

By the way, the flasher unit is that little "pill-bottle-shaped" can under the dash, to the right of the steering column. At least on early spiders, and I'm fairly sure it was true for the '77 model as well.

-Bryan
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Thanks for your replies guys. Just started it up getting good output from the battery. So it’s not that? Must be the flasher I have used.all connections have been cleaned all grounds cleaned will have to wait for new flasher to arrive unless anyone else knows of what I could try?
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Yes that’s the one originally they were round metal body that went into a C clip. Now they are square plastic. just a thought were the metal body ones grounded through the C clip?
18Fiatsandcounting

paulwall wrote:just a thought were the metal body ones grounded through the C clip?
I used to think so, but I opened up one of the metal cans and there was nothing internally connected to the metal can. However, that C-clip "holster" is a ground point for other items on the dash, so there should be some black or white/black wires attached where the C-clip attaches to the steering column support.

By the way, for the three wire flashers used in the '77 (and earlier), there should be 3 wires: Grey, Violet (purple), and light blue/white. There sometimes are markings on the flashers, and those are connected as follows: Grey to + (or X), Violet to "L", and light blue/white to "P".

-Bryan
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Yes Bryan all that is correct.on the wiring chart I have for fuse A. Shows flasher unit ,signal switch ect and a component number 64 but there’s no 64 on the reference page any idea what it could be??
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

,signal switch ect and a component number 64 but there’s no 64 on the reference page
Looking at wire diagrams for the 75 and 76 Spider the reference page shows #64 as the turn signal indicator.
The wire diagram for 1977 Fuse A shows a light blue/white wire on a flasher terminal that connects to an indicator in the Speedometer. The Speedometer appears labeled # 64 I think the speedometer is item number 51. So I am thinking this is a bit of a unclear editing by Fiat. I think # 64 is the green indicator in the speedometer which is # 51.
18Fiatsandcounting

I agree with spider2081. Several diagrams I have for the '76 or '77 spiders show that item 64 is the green turn signal indicator in the speedometer. The light blue/white wire goes to that.

By the way, the flasher unit gets its power from the grey wire coming from the emergency flasher switch, and that power then goes through the violet wire to the turn signal stalk switch, where it goes to either the left or right outside lights depending on the lever position.

-Bryan
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

Thanks once again For your input Will just have to wait for delivery of new flasher unit
paulwall

Post by paulwall »

New flasher arrived,everything ok lesson learned (don’t use crap parts). Thanks all
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

New flasher arrived,everything ok
Great to hear
Enjoy your car