side view mirrors

General chat about the car goes in here.
SurlaCraque
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

side view mirrors

Post by SurlaCraque »

Hello, we have recently required a 1979 spider that we are restoring / upgrading as a father - son project. See our post in intros if you're interested: https://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopi ... 13&t=40334

Anyways we're starting with the driver's side door and trying to resolve several issues, one of which is how can we get this side view mirror remote control attached? The mirror appears to be original and there was just a hole in the door card for where the little joystick is supposed to be. Oh well, I guess you just have to push around the mirror inside the mirror frame if you want to adjust it - but that is kinda cludgey and also gets smudges all over the mirror. Lo and behold, when we removed the door card we discovered the joystick control hanging inside the door - and it works! However I can't figure out how the reattach it to the hole in the door frame it's meant to go in. The joystick doesn't quite fit through the hole so maybe it's supposed to sit behind it somehow? Photos attached. I've looked around online and not had any luck finding whatever mounting piece I'm missing. Fiatplus seemed the most likely. From what I can gather there were variations in these adjustable mirrors and parts and replacements are most available for later than 1979 editions. If anyone has, or knows where I could find, the part I'm needing, let me know.

Replacing the whole original mirror seems crazy expensive. Also, we are interested in getting a passenger side mirror so if we can't fix this one we have, we might be interested in a matching pair of aftermarket units. I have heard of varying quality amongst the replacements. My main concerns would be does it hold it's adjustment and not vibrate and rattle around a lot. We'd want the replacement to cover the holes in the driver's door - which are two screw holes 6cm apart with a 2cm diameter hole in-between where the remote cable passed through. The area under the gasket is painted but the gasket rim has damaged the paint so ideally any replacement mirror covers this whole area of about 8cm x 4.7cm.

This mirror seems like it could fit the bill: https://autoricambi.us/turbo-style-mirror-reversible/
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Mirror - says Vitaloni on it:

Remote control joystick:

Hole in door for remote joystick
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Re: side view mirrors

Post by wetminkey »

I can tell you, but you are not going to like the answer,...
Your mirrors' 'joystick' is missing a vital part - a three-legged frame that stabilizes the joystick and spring assembly. Mine was the same and I was able to find a used replacement at Midwest-Bayless.
The joystick/frame assembly also has a black bezel that screws onto the missing frames' threaded portion from the interior of the car, holding it in place, and finishing off the doorcard. I have pics,...I will find, and post, them.
I found a passengers' mirror that resembles the factory drivers' mirror at Autoricambi. It was expensive, but is of good quality, and functions perfectly. Here's a picture of it:
I'll post that other pic ASAP.
Last edited by wetminkey on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

Found the pic quicker than I thought I would,...
The entire assembly, but with a leg missing from the 'three-legged' frame piece:
The joystick and frame should be a single assembly.
Again, I found a perfect joystick at Midwest-Bayless, but I had to inquire. It was EASY to swap over the cables to the new assembly, and it works flawlessly. They may also have a bezel,...
Best of luck,...
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe
SurlaCraque
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Post by SurlaCraque »

Thanks for the quick replies wetminkey. Sounds like I should give Midwest Bayless a call - yep those are the parts I need. Nice looking '79 ya got there! Is this the passenger mirror you bought? https://autoricambi.us/passenger-side-e ... r-1979-82/

Yeah kinda speedy. Also out of stock. Like a lot of the inventory at Autoricambi. Seems like half their inventory is not real.