Fastening Door Sill/Rocker Molding

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Fastening Door Sill/Rocker Molding

Post by AlexD »

I’m finally getting around to putting the chrome/stainless molding pieces the PO hadn’t installed after having the car painted and am trying to figure out the rocker panel trim piece (the one that sits on top of the sill and extends from wheel well to wheel well. I ordered the inserts and screws but am thinking that I might be missing another piece as the molding holes that line up with the sill holes are much bigger than the screws. See the attached pictures for reference.

The other molding pieces are straight forward and seem Ike they’ll lock down just fine but there’s no way the sill plate molding will secure the rocker molding enough. My current fallback plan is to find washers big enough bit small enough to grab the molding but I’d welcome any insights the group might have.

Thanks.
Alex
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Fastening Door Sill/Rocker Molding

Post by AlexD »

Figured out the issue - would have been apparent if I'd looked at the opposite side trim piece more closely to compare. There is a small flat piece of stainless tacked with what appears to be a spot-weld to the underside of the molding at the point where it screws into the sill. I know that the grommet spacing changes across the model years so perhaps this allows some flexibility. Either way, looks like I'll need to fabricate something on the one side. Another opportunity to learn a new skill... :D