Carb issue

General chat about the car goes in here.
Bazl
Your car is a: 1977 fiat spider cs

Carb issue

Post by Bazl »

Hello all, I’m back from a long break and still spidering…I have a 2 Ltr engine with twin downdraft Weber’s 45 if I believe) while driving yesterday I noticed the fuel level disappearing very quickly. After topping up I drove the 5 ks home with only half a tank left. Eventually I found that the fuel was pouring out of a casting hole at the bottom of the carb. As best I can tell this little port had a lead plug which has fallen out. The question is … what now ? There is one of these little casting ports on each carb…the one left seems to have a black looking plug in it. I don’t think this will be a spare part and some sort of fix will be needed …anyone ?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Carb issue

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I've never had this happen to me, although I've always wondered if it could. You've now answered that question!

I would think any decent machine shop could machine a small plug to fit in the hole. I don't think you need to go too deep, maybe 1/4". It's also something you might be able to do yourself, as all you need is a thin metal rod of the right diameter that you can gently hammer into the hole and then cut off the end so it's flush. The challenge would be getting access, depending on where it is on the carb body.

You might be able to fill the hole with JB Weld or the like, but I prefer the metal rod solution noted above. Tapping the hole to accept a small machine screw would also work, but I'd also seal the threads with a gas-resistant thread sealant. Or tap the hole with a taper so you can put a tapered plug in there.

-Bryan
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Re: Carb issue

Post by dinghyguy »

I note that my webers (not the ones you have) have brass plugs in a few locations, i would suggest brass as the material and easy to machine. You might be able to get a rod the right dia at hobby shop and cut to length. If it is a bit too big you could perhaps enlarge the hole easier than machining the rod. JBweld is perhaps to thick, i might use a threadlocker instead.

just my two cents worth

dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger