Steering

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
DangerousDan
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Steering

Post by DangerousDan »

I have only had my 76 124 Spider a couple months and enjoying it. It has really seemed much harder to steer that it should. I have driven many 40’s, 50’s and 60’s non- power steering cars and trucks over the years and I remember them all steering easier while moving.
Today I uncovered my 124 to give grandson a ride. It had been setting about 3 weeks. Started great and backed out of drive but the wheel would not budge. Fortunately got back in the driveway with wheels locked in place.
It doesn’t seem to be the ignition lock.
Where do I start? Supposed to be 105 next couple days so I have time to plan the approach.
Any help appreciated.
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Steering

Post by AlexD »

You say that it doesn't appear to be the ignition lock but I'm curious if there was any movement in the steering wheel. Could be a number of things from something locked up in the steering column or steering arms, no fluid in the steering box or idler, etc. I'd start with getting the front wheels off the ground to relieve some pressure/resistance and seeing if the mechanisms work (either by turning the steering wheel or manually moving the tires left and right). Based on that, you can pinpoint where else to focus the troubleshooting.

I will say that my steering wheel locked one day and it took an unusual amount of force to turn the wheel enough to release the ignition lock - had me slightly panicked for a hot second...
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

My thinking is the same as Alex. If you cannot turn the steering wheel at all, not even an inch either direction at the rim, then it's likely your steering wheel lock didn't "unlock". If the steering wheel turns more than an inch, but only with great difficulty, then it's likely something froze up in the steering box / idler box / linkages / ball joints. I'm guessing it's an issue with the steering lock, although since you have had hard steering for a while, there are likely other issues. Once you're moving over 30mph, you should be able to turn the steering wheel (slowly) with just a finger or two in the steering wheel spokes.

Try this. Try unlocking the steering mechanism while tugging in one direction on the steering wheel, then the other direction. See if this helps it unlock. If it does, then your steering lock is getting jammed somehow.

-Bryan
DangerousDan
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by DangerousDan »

Thanks Alex and Bryan. Haven't been back on here in a few days. I had same thought. To be certain I decided to remove ignition switch to be sure. Could not get switch completely removed but I did determine the wheel lock was free and not the problem. I went ahead and dropped steering column and with front wheels in the air and was able to break it loose. I did grab the tie rods and gave them a good twist first. Put column and switch back. Then a used needle grease injector to all the steering joints. Each joint took several pumps. Steering was so much easier after that. Then I decided i better check steering box lubricant. Fill plug really hard to get to since fuel vapor lines directly over plug. But i got it out. Used a phillips screwdriver for a dipstick and was not able to get a single drop out of the box. Filled it up (about an inch below top) with 90W gear oil. The car is a pleasure to drive now --- no thanks to the PO's.
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by AlexD »

DangerousDan wrote:Thanks Alex and Bryan. Haven't been back on here in a few days. I had same thought. To be certain I decided to remove ignition switch to be sure. Could not get switch completely removed but I did determine the wheel lock was free and not the problem. I went ahead and dropped steering column and with front wheels in the air and was able to break it loose. I did grab the tie rods and gave them a good twist first. Put column and switch back. Then a used needle grease injector to all the steering joints. Each joint took several pumps. Steering was so much easier after that. Then I decided i better check steering box lubricant. Fill plug really hard to get to since fuel vapor lines directly over plug. But i got it out. Used a phillips screwdriver for a dipstick and was not able to get a single drop out of the box. Filled it up (about an inch below top) with 90W gear oil. The car is a pleasure to drive now --- no thanks to the PO's.
Excellent - great to hear it worked out!
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Awesome, Dangerous Dan! If you have a hydraulic style steering idler assembly (opposite side from the steering box), you might also check that there's oil in that as well. If you have the friction type of idler, no need for oil.

The hydraulic style will have a fill plug in the top, but it's hard to check the oil level as there's a metal plate right below the fill plug, and added oil seeps through some one-way check valves (bearings) in that plate. I usually just remove the top cover and that metal plate, by removing the three Allen head bolts. There are two o-rings for sealing, so make sure those are intact.

-Bryan