Troubleshooting Circuit "H" On Fuse Panel

Gotta love that wiring . . .
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Troubleshooting Circuit "H" On Fuse Panel

Post by AlexD »

As I continue to dig into my Spider (I'm now about elbow-deep), I'm currently locked in on addressing a number of electric issues. I've gone through and cleaned every ground connection I could find/access (amazing how things started working after just this step), replaced all the fuses with new and in the right amperage, replaced the two crown ground hubs on the inner fenders of the engine bay with ground bars (they were a complete rat's nest and I took inspiration from what RRoller did), and attempted to install relays for the headlights and wipers before hitting a snag with a stuck nut on the alternator post (that'll be a separate post).

My attention is now on what I'm guessing is a faulty connection, wire, or other glitch with one of the fuse circuits - the "H" circuit. It dawned on me yesterday when I made a list of the things still not working (or working correctly) - dash instrument lights, front left lamps and rear right lamps, etc - that they were all on the one circuit. The fuse had previously been tripped and tripped once after I replaced it but it's been OK since even after cycling through the functions and cleaning bulb connections. I'm thinking that the issue may be with the fuse block or the circuit (maybe a loose/disconnected wire, etc) since EVERYTHING on that circuit is dead and want to explore that before I start individual symptoms (bypass dimmer switch to help with the instrument lights, etc.).

Has anyone gone down this route before (will be shocked if not) and if so, any words of wisdom? Does the fuse block simply come away from the dash with the two screws to allow closer (and contortion-free) inspection of the wire connections? I'm not afraid of tinkering but don't want to make a manageable situation bad or otherwise unmanageable if I take what appears to be a simple step that ends up being very wrong...

Thanks in advance.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Troubleshooting Circuit "H" On Fuse Panel

Post by spider2081 »

The fuse panel has a number of dual powered fuses. the top side of the fuses are jumper together and the jumpers are visible from the fuse side of the panel. Fuses 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10 as well as 11 and 12 all have a jumper connecting the pair of fuses. A power wire from the dash headlight/parking light switch connects to fuse 7 which should be internally jumped to fuse 8. Have you checked for power at the top of fuse 8??
AlexD
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Troubleshooting Circuit "H" On Fuse Panel

Post by AlexD »

spider2081 wrote:The fuse panel has a number of dual powered fuses. the top side of the fuses are jumper together and the jumpers are visible from the fuse side of the panel. Fuses 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10 as well as 11 and 12 all have a jumper connecting the pair of fuses. A power wire from the dash headlight/parking light switch connects to fuse 7 which should be internally jumped to fuse 8. Have you checked for power at the top of fuse 8??
Thanks for the reply and input. I wasn’t aware that there were a number of dual powered fuses. Will have to study up on the electric diagrams a bit more. I haven’t yet checked power at the problem fuse but will do that tomorrow. Got all caught up in and sidetracked by my alternator post solution tonight and never got to the fuse block.