Reinstalling Missing Smog Components?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Allesgut
Your car is a: 2008 Audi A4

Reinstalling Missing Smog Components?

Post by Allesgut »

Hello there!

I'm planning to look at a '77 Spider project car for sale that apparently has had the smog equipment removed and, therefore, is non-operable in CA where I plan to drive it.

I've found lots of posts about removing smog equipment for better performance, etc. but not too much info on what it entails to put it back on. If anyone has any experience with this, along with any recommendations for smog-friendly upgrades while going through the reinstallation process, I'd be very grateful to hear them!

Thanks in advance,
Adam
:arrow: 1966 Mustang Convertible (I6) - sold (and missing it!)
:arrow: 2008 Audi A4 2.0T S-line - daily driver
:arrow: Looking for: FIAT Spider (preferably pre-'75 but open to later years, running project or restored)
pwilliam
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Re: Reinstalling Missing Smog Components?

Post by pwilliam »

I would recommend finding a car that is either 75 or earlier so no smog. Or a FI car from 1980 onward. It will be a huge pain in the butt to get everything located, reinstalled, tested and retested when something isn’t working. Better to spend more money on a better car. It’ll cost you less in the end.
Allesgut

Post by Allesgut »

Thanks for the advice! The more I learn about this '77 sans smog equip, the more I'm in agreement to look for something pre-smog or ready to go instead. Appreciate it!
:arrow: Looking for: FIAT Spider (preferably pre-'75 but open to later years, running project or restored)
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

pwilliam wrote:I would recommend finding a car that is either 75 or earlier so no smog. Or a FI car from 1980 onward. It will be a huge pain in the butt to get everything located, reinstalled, tested and retested when something isn’t working. Better to spend more money on a better car. It’ll cost you less in the end.
Solid advice.
pwilliam
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Post by pwilliam »

Where are you located? If in the SF Bay Area there are loads of members that can help you give any prospective purchase the once over before you pull the trigger.
Allesgut

Post by Allesgut »

Thanks, pwilliam! I'm down in Monterey and have seen a couple 124s buzzing around town too (see my post elsewhere on these boards about looking for a reliable mechanic in the area).

For what it's worth, I did actually look at this '77 in person and it wasn't half bad, except for back DMV fees owed, disconnected smog equipment, non-working electrics and quickie paint job. A little too much of a project for me to tackle so I passed. Hopefully it'll go to someone who will show it the love it needs to get back on the road! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another :)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Allesgut wrote:Thanks, pwilliam! I'm down in Monterey and have seen a couple 124s buzzing around town too (see my post elsewhere on these boards about looking for a reliable mechanic in the area).
If you ever plan to be out in the Livermore/Pleasanton/Dublin parts of the SF Bay Area, look me up. It's funny, I have only seen one or two Fiats buzzing around where I am (Livermore), although I do see MGs and Triumphs. Actually, I see more Ferraris and Maseratis than I see Fiats. Go figure.

-Bryan