rack and pinion

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
rug
Your car is a: 1971 sport coupe

rack and pinion

Post by rug »

I found a steering rack from an 85.5 which I would like to put into my 71 coupe. I was kind of hoping this would be an "easy" swap with some mounts at the right height and lengthening the steering column.

I see now that the steering levers on the knuckles are different. Easiest thing to spot is that the ball joints attach to the top instead of the bottom. Maybe they will be different heights or lengths too?

I have searched high and low for information regarding switching to rack and pinion but never come across needing to swap steering levers on the knuckles. Anyone have knowledge regarding this? Will the earlier levers work with the rack? Having the ball joint attach at the bottom instead of at the top will most likely mean the rack needs to be mounted lower which shouldn't be a problem anyway since I need to make new mounts on the crossmember anyway.
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Re: rack and pinion

Post by toyfiats »

Yes, they are different. At least one person has used the earlier arms, but opinions are divided as to whether that is the best approach.

https://mirafiori.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=100802
rug
Your car is a: 1971 sport coupe

Re: rack and pinion

Post by rug »

Ok.

I will try the older ones as the later pieces are quite expensive. Will update as how it goes!