Has anyone updated to California Dash?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Jessica
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Has anyone updated to California Dash?

Post by Jessica »

I have a 1980 Fiat Spider Pinnifarini that I finally got to daily driver status. I am now looking at various interior upgrades. I saw a California Style dash on Auto Ricambi and have found one image of the upgrade. The dash adds a more 60s style to the interior. I want to know if anyone has done it and what issues they had in customizing it.

https://jessicapettyjohn.smugmug.com/Fiat
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Has anyone updated to California Dash?

Post by SteinOnkel »

Why are these called California dashes? I have yet to see one in a 124 in California...
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

Look at the dash in a 1960s Ferrari California.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

ooooh.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I have not seen them on a spider either. I had to really hunt for that one car that I posted here. Since it was a stock image site I can't contact the owner to find out more. I think the style of it is beautiful. I would, however, like to speak to someone who actually converted. There is a lot of wire work behind these dashboards in a very tight space. So moving everything around is a little intimidating for me.
PaulC
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by PaulC »

Our California dash
Not a form-fit exactly. They need a bit of customization.
Attachment points, extension cables for the gauges and controls, etc. All doable with a bit of work.
Also need to paint it. Lower part of ours is car color, top part is textured black.
PaulC
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by PaulC »

On yeah, drilling all the holes for gauges. Use hole saws, much neater.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

So beautiful! I am absolutely going to do this! Thank you for answering my questions on it.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

I am seriously considering this. I cannot for the life of me find a good dash replacement and it looks like my dash has seen more than one plastic cap installed over it. So it's completely roached.

So speedo cable needs to be extended, okay. Wood veneer all goes the way of the buffalo (which is nice).

Wiring I'm not worried about, I've converted plenty of cars to EFI and know my way around a crimp tool.

Hmmm hmm hmm. You do lose a glove box.
PaulC
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by PaulC »

Since I don't drive with gloves, no loss. I stuff everything in the map pockets.
pwilliam
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

Post by pwilliam »

One dude's opinion...The fiberglass dash from AR is exceptional for what it is, although is specific to the later model cars w/out the hump over the steering column. The soft touch dash has a poor casting mark along the bottom of the glove box that is disappointing and visually distracting, especially considering its price point. AR now has an original style reproduction that is $$$. I cannot comment on it as I would only pay that much money after someone else has forked over the dough to verify its quality!

One dude's opinion continued....I have to say, I don't understand why the desire amongst Spider owners to deviate from the factory design is so prevalent. I frequent craigslist and car shows, eBay, bring a trailer, etc. and with no other make and model do I see people trying so hard to do better than what the car came with (except with muscle cars and all of the digital dash crap you can get from Jegs and others). Take a look at the California dash...can someone describe how it is cohesive with the rest of the interior design of the car? It isn't. Honestly, unless you absolutely love it, installing it probably takes value away from the car from an aesthetic standpoint and a monetary standpoint.

It appears, like most classic cars, Spiders have rebounded from the bottom and are becoming an appreciating asset. Long term, the wisest decision is to keep the car looking as factory as possible. It may not be for everyone, but at least it looks relatively cohesive. Alas, most cars are passion projects and since they are not Ferraris originality isn't such a big deal...yet. But, I've yet to see a FIAT interior where I pause and think, holy cow, that person did a better job than those trained design professionals in Italy! Perhaps its most appealing, at least to me, form was in the first series cars: https://petrolicious.com/articles/searc ... 124-spider

There is a beauty in the economy of the gauge cluster and glove box panel design. They are the same piece of geometry, mirrored...These cars weren't expensive when they came out, and the dash design is certainly reflective of the design economy, but I think that it's worth appreciating in its own right, for what it is.

And lastly, perhaps one of the things that has hurt the value of Spiders beyond the usual punchlines is the fact that they are so regularly customized. Everyone wants to build a hotrod...nobody wants to buy one. No offense meant to anyone, in any way. Opinions are like...elbows. I just thought I'd share my elbow...I mean opinion.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

One of the best things about the FIAT community is the diversity of cars and owners. All very nice people that just love the cars. With that said, the price point of most FIATS lends itself to affordable self restorations or individual customization if that is what you like. If you like it, do it. If you don't like it, don't do it. Continue to be respectful of owners choices because they love these cars too. Where else at this price point can people have so much fun in the car world.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
rridge
Your car is a: 1981 Turbo Spider

Post by rridge »

It's called a "California Dash" because its a replica of the dash in a Ferrari California Spider circa '59-62. That model was featured in the 1986 movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" At least one replica was made for a scene in the movie when the Ferrari is destroyed. Could be that the dash mold traces that far back. In any event, the dash is not an update but rather a backdate.