Brake Lights alternating out

General chat about the car goes in here.
GrantLee123
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Brake Lights alternating out

Post by GrantLee123 »

Hello all,

My 1978s right brake light is out. When I purchased the car, the left brake light was out, and the previous owner and I fiddled with the brake pedal switch, which was working, and then pulled the left brake bulb and cleaned it and the socket for corrosion, which got it so both lights were working, but now, the right brake light won’t come on, and there’s no corrosion on the bulb and the filament is good. Any ideas as to why this might be? All other lights work including the left brake light. Thanks
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Brake Lights alternating out

Post by DieselSpider »

GrantLee123 wrote:Hello all,

My 1978s right brake light is out. When I purchased the car, the left brake light was out, and the previous owner and I fiddled with the brake pedal switch, which was working, and then pulled the left brake bulb and cleaned it and the socket for corrosion, which got it so both lights were working, but now, the right brake light won’t come on, and there’s no corrosion on the bulb and the filament is good. Any ideas as to why this might be? All other lights work including the left brake light. Thanks
Water gets into the riveted connections inside the sockets causing corrosion which prevents current from getting to the bulb contacts. Sometimes if its not too bad you can spray PBlaster in through where the spade lug connectors come out of the back of the socket and they may start working again for a while. Just be sure that there is power going in from the wire that comes across from the other stop light when you press on the brake pedal.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Brake Lights alternating out

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

DieselSpider wrote:Water gets into the riveted connections inside the sockets causing corrosion which prevents current from getting to the bulb contacts.
Yes, good thought. The electrical connection between bulb socket and light assembly can get intermittent, so I've taken to soldering a wire from the outer surface of the socket to a good ground.

You can test this by having someone press the brake pedal while you ground the bulb socket with a piece of wire like a clip lead or the like.

-Bryan