Brake Issue

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
DangerousDan
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Brake Issue

Post by DangerousDan »

I bought my 76 Fiat 124 Spider just two weeks ago. It is solid, runs great, has new top and fun to drive. I know I have some work to do but I am enjoying driving it almost every day. One thing bothered me and that is the parking brake fully pulled did nothing. OK. So I decide it has stretched cables and needs adjusting. I removed the adjusting yoke and cleaned up the threads to make adjusting a little easier. Put it back and tightened. Still no parking brakes. Tightened as far as it would go and no brakes.

Next I decided to pull the rear wheels and check pads. Pulled driver side first and pads looked pretty good. Then I looked at caliper and was shocked. The piston had been removed from the cylinder and put back on. No piston... just an empty rusty cylinder. It was dry and no sign of any brake fluid.

Loosened the bleed valve and pumped the brake pedal.. Nothing came out. Both fluid reservoirs full.
I then completely removed bleed valve. The threads were wet with fluid. I pumped brake again and no fluid. So I unscrewed the brake line from the caliper. Pumped brake but no fluid came out.

I have found replacement caliper assemblies but I haven't ordered them until I can get some brake fluid flowing.

What should I try next? The front brakes apparently work fine since I have always been able to stop when driving.

Thanks for any tips.
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Re: Brake Issue

Post by tima01864 »

Check on the rubber hoses, They can collapse, Also support the rear at the axle, The brake compensator will shut off fluid to the brakes.
Would be a good thing to replace the hoses anyway. The center hose caused me grief.
Disconnecting the line to the center hose you should see flow, Be cautious it could get messy.
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

Thanks tima01864. I will start checking out the hoses tomorrow and see how it goes. At 76 with a little arthritis i am a little slower than I used to be but i will get there. :)
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

Having problem finding an rear upper brake line hose. Are there other brake line hoses that will fit? This is the hose from the rear end of the line from the master cyclinder that connects to rear distribution block.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Is this what you're looking for?
https://autoricambi.us/rear-center-brake-hose-1969-85/

All the usual Fiat parts vendors sell them.

And by the way, I've seen some rough rear brake calipers, but none that were missing a piston.... :shock:

Another thing that you might need to replace is the rear brake compensator. These often get plugged up, with the result that the rear brakes don't work.
https://autoricambi.us/brake-compensato ... regulator/

-Bryan
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the missing piston was a first for me. Also found why parking brake does not work. They used “front” calipers on the rear which have no mechanical brake connection. Ends of brake cable were zip tied to trailing arms.
The center hose is completely plugged. I couldn’t even run a thin wire through it.
Ordering hose now. Most auto parts stores carry rebuilt calipers but none seem to have any due to shipping problems. Still looking.
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021

Post by tima01864 »

I had good luck with a member
"Spiderparts" Also try Funimports, Danny may have a set rebuilt or new http://www.funimported.com/
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Front brakes are working so master cylinder should be OK. I would work backwards from the rear calipers to see where the "no flow or clog" point is. it could be a hose as mentioned above. For me, there was a clog in the brake line running to the brake compensator that I believe started with dirt/moisture in the compensator. I found the clog at the compensator resulted in no flow brake fluid and the entire line to the back needing to be replaced. Actually not a hard job to replace the brake line, rebuild the calipers with new hoses. I have heard stories of people using some denatured alcohol and compressed air to clear old clogged lines. I'm not that patent and purchased bendable cunifer (copper nickle alloy) lines from one of our vendors in 2009.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021

Post by tima01864 »

Can you make a bubble flare?
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

I really appreciate all the help. Center brake hose was completely plugged. Found a remanufactured caliper for driver side and eventually found a “new” caliper for passenger side. Cleaned parking break cables and got adjusted. Only thing left is installing center brake hose which arrived late today. Then we can start the bleed and get this girl back on the road.
Few frustrations but loving every minute working on it.
18Fiatsandcounting

DangerousDan wrote:Few frustrations but loving every minute working on it.
Awesome, Dangerous Dan, but let's check back in a few weeks to make sure you still feel this way! :D

-Bryan
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

[quote] but let's check back in a few weeks to make sure you still feel this way! :D [quote]

Well, maybe not every minute. And yes it will change a few times over the coming weeks.
DangerousDan

Post by DangerousDan »

Installed new calipers and pads on the rear. Bled rear passenger side the driver side. Repeated the process to make sure I got all air out. Ran quart of fluid through the rear brakes in the process.
Emergency works now which is good.

But I have to pump brake pedal couple of times to get brakes to work. All brakes work then. But in. Few minutes pedal goes to floor. Have to pump every time. I am not a brake savvy person. What do I need to do to keep the brakes primed?
18Fiatsandcounting

DangerousDan wrote:What do I need to do to keep the brakes primed?
You shouldn't need anything, and my guess is that either you've still got air in the system, possibly in the master cylinder, or the master cylinder itself is failing (the internal seals go bad over time).

-Bryan
geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Post by geert »

DangerousDan wrote:Installed new calipers and pads on the rear. Bled rear passenger side the driver side. Repeated the process to make sure I got all air out. Ran quart of fluid through the rear brakes in the process.
Emergency works now which is good.

But I have to pump brake pedal couple of times to get brakes to work. All brakes work then. But in. Few minutes pedal goes to floor. Have to pump every time. I am not a brake savvy person. What do I need to do to keep the brakes primed?
Hello,
problems are there to get solved. A Fiat is a great playground for that.
-with a piston missing, it was good to have the line the the back blocked.

-but : "All brakes work then. But in. Few minutes pedal goes to floor. " is that with the motor running or not ? (if yes, servo ! )

groeten, Geert. Damme, Belgium