Parking Brake acting up

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Glacier
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Re: Parking Brake acting up

Post by Glacier »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Glacier wrote:What should I try next?
Here's a little trick that I figured out, and sometimes it helps (and sometimes not).
Thanks. I will try to open also other side and compare it. I will try this trick and see if it helps.
Glacier
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Glacier »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Glacier wrote:What should I try next?
…If the self-adjusting mechanism is working even the slightest little bit, sometimes this helps move it into position and fixes the problem.
It’s working now. Exactly same force with pedal on both sides and also hand brake working properly. Inspection approved!
What I did:
1. cylinder visible (detaching caliber so that cylinder can move freely)
2. pressing of brake pedal two times fully (for this car suitable), engine not running
3. rotate cylinder back in
4. repeat 2. and 3. 15 times
5. put everything back
6. release hand brake adjustment fully (in a middle, bottom of car)
7. press brake pedal firmly several times (while car running)
8. re-adjust hand brake

When I started smoothening, it was quite tight to rotate cylinder in and I needed about 2 full rounds. It started to worked easier all the time and at the end one full round was enough to get cylinder back in. It was also easy to rotate.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Good work, and done much faster than typical glacier speeds! :D

Due to the design of the actuator arm on the caliper and its cam / plunger, most of the plunger action is when this arm first starts moving. It's hard to explain in words, but when the piston/plunger is positioned so that the arm is already near the end of its travel, further movement doesn't result in much piston travel which is often why the emergency brakes don't work. The internal self-adjusting mechanism is supposed to take care of this, but sometimes it needs some "help".

So, I aim for the piston to be tight against the pads, and the actuating arm at its initial position, and then I hook up the emergency brake cable and tighten with the center nut until 2 clicks on the handbrake start to slow the rear wheels, and by 4 or 5 clicks, the rear wheels are pretty tightly locked.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working!

-Bryan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

So after reading this post in its entirety I decided to try some of the suggestions on my parking brakes. My rear calipers were rebuilt by Raybestos and were purchased semi loaded. That is with the caliper mount and slides as an assembly. The parking brake never worked to my satisfaction. I disassembled the original calipers, cleaned installed new seals and checked the parking brake operation off the car, Moving the caliper arm caused the piston to move out close to 1/8 inch.
So I removed the calipers on the Spider. Moved the arm with a pair of channel lock pliers and the piston did not move. So I removed the dust seal and cleaned the area under the seal. Sprayed pure silicone into the space where the dust seal covers Rotated the piston back and forth. Re assembled both sides and checked parking brake. Still no good. Then tried stepping hard on pedal and moving hand brake handle many many times. I didn't count the number but it felt like after 210 ( just saying Bryan) amazingly the parking brake works. Holds the car very solid at 4 clicks. I now have to decide if I should go for 3 clicks or be happy with it as is.
But thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now that the car has over 200,000 miles on it I will be more comfortable parking on hills.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

spider2081 wrote:Then tried stepping hard on pedal and moving hand brake handle many many times. I didn't count the number but it felt like after 210 ( just saying Bryan) amazingly the parking brake works. Holds the car very solid at 4 clicks. I now have to decide if I should go for 3 clicks or be happy with it as is.
Well, what's a few extra brake pedal pumps among friends? Let's hope you're not cursing my name! :D

I've mentioned this little trick a few times on various forums, and perhaps it will catch on as it does seem to work. As for the number of clicks for the handbrake lever, I set it up so that nothing happens after one click, the car becomes harder to push by hand after 2 clicks, can't be pushed by hand after 3 clicks, definitely firmly locked up after 4 clicks, and not going anywhere after 5 or 6 clicks. Just personal preference.

-Bryan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Thanks for your help Bryan Enjoy your ride