car wanders

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
warrenrhen
Your car is a: 1979 fiat 124 spider

car wanders

Post by warrenrhen »

This car is new to me in that I've owned it almost a year but have been working on it and not driving it. while I had the front on jack stands I checked the front suspension and all I found that was obvious was the center steering link which was shot and I replaced it. But driving it up to 50 mph It wanders a lot. Like maybe needing a steering box adjustment. Also when I back up and stop to shift into 1st there's a clunking in the right front. I'm looking for adice where to start. TIA
Cheers, Warren
79 124 spider
18 Dodge Charger R/T
20 Vespa 300 GTS HPE
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: car wanders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

It needs a front end alignment, but before doing that, I'd check (or have a shop check) the ball joints, bushings, shock mounts, wheel bearings, sway bar mounts, etc. It sounds like something is loose, so find and fix that, get an alignment, and you should be good. Check your front tires to make sure they're not causing the problem, too.

-Bryan
warrenrhen
Your car is a: 1979 fiat 124 spider

Post by warrenrhen »

Well I checked all the balll joiunts wheel brgs and other linkage for excessive play and found no problem and the tires are new, 0 miles. The one thing I'm not sure of is a-arm bushings. It's kind of hard for an old man like me to get the right pressure on them to test them right. I am currently going to check steering box play and lubrication. I thought there was supposed to be a place in the lid of the box to fill it?? Also after a little more driving I'm not so sure the clunking when changing direction is coming from the front. Both long trailing arms look like someone tried to use them for a jacking point. They are slightly kinked so they can't be perfectly aligned. I know I need an alignment but I'm trying to eliminate all other problem areas first so I only have to get it aligned once
Cheers, Warren
79 124 spider
18 Dodge Charger R/T
20 Vespa 300 GTS HPE
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Maybe I was wrong and your alignment is OK for now. When you say the car "wanders" do you mean it doesn't track well (pulls to one side or the other), or the steering is sloppy and loose?

The steering box is filled through a plug in the top that unfortunately has a square drive that is notoriously hard to match and very easy to round off (causing bigger problems). For now, I'd leave that alone unless you know you're low on oil or the steering is very tight or seems to grind.

You can tighten up the end play on the steering box gears with the slotted adjustment screw in the middle that is secured with a locknut. Loosen the locknut, and with the steering pointed straight ahead, tighten the slotted screw a bit and recheck the steering. It's actually easier to do with both front wheels off the ground. Don't tighten too much as it can bind as you rotate the steering wheel through its travel lock to lock. When it seems right, retighten the locknut.

-Bryan