SOCKET 04700

Gotta love that wiring . . .
same0027
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

SOCKET 04700

Post by same0027 »

I have a few dangling red wires under my dash and no power to my courtesy lamp and no hazards. My turn signals are fine. I am guessing these are wires going to "socket 04700" in the wiring diagram. I've read the few posts on this socket but was wondering if anyone has a picture of what I am looking for or if I don't have this socket how would these wires be connected? Would I have good turn signals of there was no power going to hazard switch?
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: SOCKET 04700

Post by spider2081 »

I'm assuming your question is related to a 1982 Spider.
My wire diagram does not show a light socket 04700 if you are talking about the accessory socket is is located on the opposite side of the pedal box from the signal light flasher, The socket is powered from the "hot all the time" circuit of the car. The socket sometimes shorts to ground causing fuse 9 to blow. One red wire brings power to the light socket and the other passes power to the hazard light switch for the hazards lights to work when the ignition switch is in the "off" position. The Hazard lights power does not pass through the ignition switch. Your signal lights work on the "hot in start and run" circuit which passes through the ignition switch. If the red wires are for the accessory light socket and the socket has been removed from the car, connecting the wires together will complete the circuit for the hazard light switch to work in the "Hazard" position.
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Thanks for the suggestions, yeah its an 82. I tried to upload a screenshot of the writing diagram but can't figure out how to upload photos here. This is the diagram I'm looking at https://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/8 ... MPLETE.pdf, socket 04700 appears on pages D and J. I'll look where you suggest later today
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Took a closer look, there's actually four loose wires and no socket or anything on the clutch side of the pedal box. Three of the wires are red and one is orange. All are female spade connectors and two are plastic covered spade connectors. I didn't check to see if any of them are hot but I hooked each of the wires with no plastic sleeve up to the open terminal on fuse 9 and nothing was going on. If there's some sort of connector I should have there let me know what it should look like.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nfsAkwZZBkwwZ7aZ6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6L6CrffkpxgTH1au7
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

Looking at the photo with the fuse panel, there is a tap sticking off the side of the pedal box that has an empty round hole. I believe that is where the accessory socket would have been mounted. The socket serves no purpose except to be a junction point where wires tie together. There are 2 red wires that connect there. One will have voltage on it all the time the cars battery is connected in the car. It should connect to the wire that powers the Hazard switches "Hazard lights on" power wire. To check for that wire Use an ohm meter connected between ground and the other red wire. When the hazard switch is in the "Turn Signal" position the red wire should check open. When the hazard switch is in the "Hazard Lights" position it should read something like 10 ohms to ground.

I am pretty sure Item 04700 is the accessory light socket.

Hope this helps
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Thank you yes, this will help me find the correct source for the hazards. I grabbed the multi-meter and checked for voltage and didn't find any loose wires that were hot without a key in the ignition so I'm still a bit puzzled as to where the voltage would come from but I'll keep looking. Unless one of these is supposed to be connected to the fuse panel. It seems like there is an available spade connector on fuse 9. All the wires off fuse 9 seemed to go straight into the wiring loom.
same0027

Post by same0027 »

Apologies for posting in my old thread here. I abandoned my attempt to sort my hazards and courtesy lamp issues and have discovered I have no key chime either. Upon further digging I see where the source of the hot should be for socket 4700 coming off the fuse panel and hope to trace this tomorrow or friday, though I still don't know which mystery red wire goes to my hazards or courtesy light. My car has four point harnesses with the original seatbelts removed. I believe the PO was attempting to correct an always on chime for fasten seatbelts and removed the chime and also the delay switch 06302, not sure if my missing socket 04700 is related to this but I am thinking probably not. Does anyone know what removing this delay switch 06302 would impact? All the systems that touch it seem to still be working I think, I'll have to double check on my reverse lights but I think they are working.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

I abandoned my attempt to sort my hazards and courtesy lamp issues
Many owners dislike the sound of the chime and simply unplug it.

If you have not already I suggest you join Mirafiori.com The have a library section that full of reference material. One of the booklets in the library is titled " Spider 2000 Electrical Diagnostic Manual 1980-1981" The 1982 Spider is wired the same as the 1981 so the manual explains all the circuits in your car as well as provides wire diagrams and component locations.

It is fairly common for the hazard switches to give trouble. It is also fairly common for the courtesy lights to be miss wired or for the terminals to be disconnected when radios are installed.

Both the courtesy light and and the Hazard lights are powered from fuse 9. Fuse 1 is closest to the steering column.