Stop. Hey, What's That Sound? Diagnosis help needed

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Stop. Hey, What's That Sound? Diagnosis help needed

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Nut124 wrote:That is very strange. The Valeo clutches are supposed to be very strong.

Bryan might be on to something with the orientation.
I've seen people try to install the disc with the protruding part of the hub facing the engine, and I imagine the result is that this hub will bang around against the 6 flywheel to crankshaft bolts. How do your bolts look?

You also mentioned that the pilot bearing was loose. Maybe the bearings in this are bad, so the clutch disc wobbled around when the clutch was released, causing it to eventually fail?

-Bryan
Spider951
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by Spider951 »

The placement of the clutch disc was correct (protruding side toward the clutch plate and gearbox). I did a double check this a.m., laying the side of the disc that contacts the flywheel back on. Observing with a strong light on the flywheel surface reveals a few "chatter" marks, a very faint long scratch (not visible in above photo), and abraded inner edge of the flywheel that match up with raised parts and worn places on the damaged disc (the inner part of the clutch disc is tilted along with being off-centered - the tilt is not readily apparent in the photo). The flip side (protruding side) of the disc and the clutch plate is almost pristine. Go figure. Good idea, though - I have been known to get things "bass ackwards" on occasion. All flywheel bolts and clutch bolts are undamaged and appeared to have OK torque (but I may get new bolts anyway, along with another flywheel). I too am suspicious of the loose pilot bearing. A new one is being ordered as well. Thanks.
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

I have the Allison's (now A-R) aluminum FW and like it. Was $399.

It is made by a well known co that makes similar FWs for sports cars - AASCO Motorsports. Must use the steel spacer under the bolts heads.