what is the best vinyl spray paint ... tan / beige

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
84pininfarinablack

what is the best vinyl spray paint ... tan / beige

Post by 84pininfarinablack »

I still havent figured out the color of my 84 fiat interior.. is it tan or beige.. ? what brand and color of vinyl spray paint will best represent the original colors ? its tan / beige same as the red car in the logo above . (top right)
What is that called officially and what matches it the best..

Some doofus sprayed my tan dash black.. and im trying to bring it back again to normal.. im planning on matching this new dash color to the center console.. the upper center console.. the quarter panels.. and the back of the interior under the top.. i have no backseat in the 84 model. But i want it to be close to original if possible.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Re: what is the best vinyl spray paint ... tan / beige

Post by rlux4 »

The manufactures don't all use the same name or color code for thier vinyl spray. Tan and beige don't even cover the spectrum, light buckskin, palomino, parchment, camel and others are all colors from different outfits that are in the tan/beige spectrum. SEM and Eastwood both have good reputations. It's not perfect on a computer monitor, but they have color samples on thier web page.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

SEM is a brand named that is handled by Eastwood.I have had very good luck with them,good product.My 77 has the light interior ,and the 'Palomino' was a good match.I dont know if your shade may differ,though.
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
84pininfarinablack

Post by 84pininfarinablack »

thanks who sells the sem brand ? any auto chains ? sherman williams ? or just buy it online?
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

I ordered it thru Eastwood Products.All their stuff is top notch,and they have a full line of restoration products.The only vinyl paint I have seen in parts stores is dupli-color.May be fine,but I havent used it.Link to Eastwood:

http://www.eastwood.com/
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
RJ80
Your car is a: 1977 Lancia Scorpion

Post by RJ80 »

Agreed on SEM through Eastwoods. Used it to spray my tan console black, along with some other panels, and was very happy with the results. Be sure to get some SEM prep and cleaner -- the prep work makes all the difference in how the final result will look. Eastwoods sells kits that include the vinyl paint along with the proper prep solvents.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

You can also have SEM mixed to match your present interior. Go to your local automotive paint supplier and have them mix up a quart if you have access to a sprayer. My interior was redone in a vinyl I picked that closely matched the convertible top. A couple years ago, I decided to color match the interior quarter panels:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

SEM is good stuff, make sure you buy the sands free and plastic prep. I used it for for my lower console and upper console, and coin cup:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I recently used vinyl spray to paint my ENTIRE interior. It's just canned stuff from the Autozone near us. I'm not too impressed with it, everyone we talked to about it said they've used it on boats and cars and have had no wear on them in years of use. I've only had mine for one summer, and already its worn off of my seats, and there's some wear along the side panels and consoles as well. I think I'll try to pick some of this stuff up, is it easy to apply and does it stay on well? And more importantly, has anyone used these on the seats with any good results?
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

I've found the SEM brand paint pretty durable but I've never used it on vinyl seats since I got all new upholstery. Seats get much more abused, so not sure of how well it will hold up.
ga.spyder

Post by ga.spyder »

At one time my seats and entire interiors were done w/ vinyl spray.My color is not a stock color,and I could see places where it had thinned.I have had the car for 3 years and it is staying on just fine.I have touched up some areas ,but thats it.If the surface is completely clean and you use the prep spray it will stick,if not..... The Duplicolor(Autozone,Oreilly,etc)) has a bad rep for not sticking well,go with the SEM.
Craig
Craig Nelson

Fling It Around Turns !
Nick

Post by Nick »

ga.spyder wrote:At one time my seats and entire interiors were done w/ vinyl spray.My color is not a stock color,and I could see places where it had thinned.I have had the car for 3 years and it is staying on just fine.I have touched up some areas ,but thats it.If the surface is completely clean and you use the prep spray it will stick,if not..... The Duplicolor(Autozone,Oreilly,etc)) has a bad rep for not sticking well,go with the SEM.
Craig
Thanks, that helps a lot. I did clean and prep it according to the Duplicolor instructions and it looked fine until I sat on it for a one ride. I guess the interior's coming out again this summer for another touch-up!
evrenosogullari
Your car is a: Fiat Spider 1980 Automatic

Post by evrenosogullari »

Anyone got an update on this?

Seems that Eastwood is out of the stuff....

Is there another brand in the meantime?

Otherwise will just wait for them to come back in stock

Thx
Boris61
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Post by Boris61 »

SEM vinyl paints are sold at some NAPA stores in my area. You might try there.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I've used Dupli-color for seats, and it worked pretty well. I wish they made a semi-gloss version, as the flat is well, flat, and the high gloss is too shiny. I used flat but then with some Armor All or the like to shine them up a bit.

-Bryan