lower my Fiat

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
valmontej
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: lower my Fiat

Post by valmontej »

Wow! This is a really loooong time from my last post on this topic (April 2012). I did have my alignment done, kept using OEM shocks, installed sway bars front and rear, installed 15" Rota rims with 195/55/15 Yokohama S Drives. The car corners like it's on rails - like a gokart.
The only downside is, like I said, it corners like a gokart so it rides like one. It's STIFF but solid. There's a noticeable flex in the body, tho, when I'm slowly getting onto my driveway, slowly driving over the sloped curb. I've considered installing a rollcage to address the flex but I don't autocross and I don't push the car hard anyway. I'll probably just leave it the way it is.

The top edge of the front tire is right in line with the front fender lip so you don't see any gap at all from the side but you still see the entire tire. In the rear, I have about an inch or less of air gap between the fender lip and the top edge of the rear tire.
seawood
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by seawood »

^^^^ If you can spring for it, go for a set of Koni's. Amazing ride change for the car. I have IAP reds and Koni's and the ride height is perfect for me. Did the chop spring thing at one time but the full springs and Koni's did the trick. I understand the progressive springs work well .
Naramata, BC Can.
Usually the sunny Okanagan
gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Post by gchocevar »

I put Vick's s sping on my 79 a few years ago. With the tube bumpers Vick recommended removing one coil on the back srings only to reduce the rake out of the rear end. The springs lowered it about and inch and it sets even to the pavement. I noticed squeals were reduced around tight turns and it handled much better. The ride is not harsch. I have KYB's which are OK, but I wish I had sprung for the Koni's. I understand the Konis' would lower the car more since these are "oil-filled".

Have fun!
Greg
BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Post by BEEK »

I posted on this in 2012.

I have just completed a restoration of a 82 spider. I am still using cut OEM springs for my build. I have a resto mod 75 spider with koni's and still use cut oem springs. Cant see the reason to pay for aftermarket springs.

understand a spring is a coiled linear piece of metal and the spring is actually twisted around its axis. So as a school of thought. take a piece of metal 10 feet long and try to bend it. it is much easier than the same piece of metal 8 feet long. This is a crude example but effective one for stiffness.
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider