Problem while changing rear shocks

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
WarbirdAL
Your car is a: 2 1977 124 Spiders 1969 124 Coupe

Problem while changing rear shocks

Post by WarbirdAL »

Started to change my rear shocks due to poor handling from the rear end.. found a broken thinga majig that the bottom of the shock bolts into that sits on top of the rear axle. Small part but one of the bolts was sheared off that bolts it to the axle.
Chris you probably have the part I need , I willcheck with Will tomorrow dang I wanted to get it done tonight.. a simple shock replacement is turning into a search for the lost grail err part.
WarbirdAL

Re: Problem while changing rear shocks

Post by WarbirdAL »

pope

Post by pope »

You could just go to an auto repair shop or auto parts store with a machine shop, heck, a gas station that does repairs can also do this. Have them grind off the head of the bolt so there is just a hole there and get a new metric bolt, lock washer and nut of the same size to the good one. Install and put the shock back on. You dont have to weld the bolt onto the part again. I would use a metric grade 10.9 of bolt if you can, if not an 8.8 will have to suffice.
Not a tough job and the part still looks good to use except for the broken stud.

Good Luck
WarbirdAL

!

Post by WarbirdAL »

thanks Pope, it is easy to panic when you find something like that. I wasmore disappointed because it was getting late and I was hoping for a quick spin to verify the new shocks. But after seeing that part broken I was pretty sure that added to the problem of how the car was handling
ROOK1

Post by ROOK1 »

Alan,
I will be home all weekend, so let me know if you want that part. I'll even let you take the car back to your place to remove it. As long as you promise not to bring it back. :mrgreen:
WarbirdAL

Post by WarbirdAL »

Hey Chris I just saw this post. too funny... I probabl;y should have taken you up on it !