My 1973' is back on the road.

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Cmat20
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider

My 1973' is back on the road.

Post by Cmat20 »

Hi All,

I've been partially restoring my 1973 Spider since I bought it in November for $2000, and it's finally ready to be back out on the road. The car has the rare (although worse than a 1608cc) 1592cc motor, 94,000 miles, and was originally painted in dark blue. I'm doing what I can to refinish parts and restore the car to original spec, while learning how to fix everything along the way.

A little list of work I've completed
- Changed the oil
- New spark plugs
- fresh valve cover gaskets
- brand new gear reduction starter
- replaced clock glass, center dash, and glovebox lock mechanism.
- new driveline flex joint (guibo)
- New upper shifter bushings, added a shift boot.
- All new ball joints and bushings, sanded all front suspension down to metal and repainted.
- new tires all around
- lots and lots of cleaning
- filed and sanded the ratchet mechanism of the handbrake to fix stripped mechanism
- new swaybar bushings
- filled and set tension on steering gearbox and idler.
- new transmission fluid, transmission pan gasket
- new differential fluid.

It's been an awesome experience, and I've gone from having a very basic knowledge of working on my car to being pretty confident in my abilities. There's countless more things which are old, crusty, worn out, and in need of replacement, so I'll be working on this car for years to come.

A big thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me out with information, parts sourcing, and for just being friendly to a new enthusiast who still has a lot to learn.

I plan on getting the car repainted, repairing the rust on the quarter panels, and changing the throwout bearing, as well as replacing the center console, dash, and steering wheel.

It's never going to be a perfect classic, but its a perfect platform to learn on and I've fallen in love with it.

I'll attach lots of before and after photos for reference.

ImageImage
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: My 1973' is back on the road.

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Cmat20 wrote:It's never going to be a perfect classic, but its a perfect platform to learn on and I've fallen in love with it.
I totally agree! About the learning platform and falling in love, I mean. At the rate you're going, it might end up being close to a perfect classic! :D

Keep us posted on your progress, and if you need used parts or advice, this site is a good place to start.

-Bryan
Grampa
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Grampa »

Congrats on the '73! I'm in the later stages of a complete rebuild/restoration on a '73 myself. About 2 years in now, and I'm reassembling some parts and I'd like to ask a favor: If your rear bumpers seem to be properly attached, could you snap a couple of shots of them, especially whatever secures the inner ends of the to the rear panel? Whatever was there was gone when I got the car. Thanks.
Cmat20
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider

Post by Cmat20 »

Grampa wrote:Congrats on the '73! I'm in the later stages of a complete rebuild/restoration on a '73 myself. About 2 years in now, and I'm reassembling some parts and I'd like to ask a favor: If your rear bumpers seem to be properly attached, could you snap a couple of shots of them, especially whatever secures the inner ends of the to the rear panel? Whatever was there was gone when I got the car. Thanks.
Sure! I'd be happy to help out. I apologize for the late response, but I'll take some photos this afternoon and send them your way.