Guibo/Rubber Flex Coupling/Donut Installation Troubles

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Cmat20
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider

Guibo/Rubber Flex Coupling/Donut Installation Troubles

Post by Cmat20 »

Hi All,

So as a part of my suspension overhaul and initial restoration work on my 1973' Spider, I decided to replace the rubber guibo/flex coupling on the back of the transmission. I managed to remove the 6 bolts and disconnect the rubber donut, but I can't get the driveshaft to make any room at all for the guibo. I read in another post on this forum that the driveshaft should just slide back on a spline and out of the way, but I was only able to make it move around an inch or so. I can't see any more room in any part of the driveline for it to slide back into. There is a sort of spring and round metal piece by the pilot bearing, near the center of the donut, which I guess I need to disconnect somehow. Any advice on getting the driveshaft out of the way enough to remove the guibo and install my new part? Do I need to disconnect the driveshaft, remove the center support bearing, or just grab a BFH and make the driveshaft slide further?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Caleb.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Re: Guibo/Rubber Flex Coupling/Donut Installation Troubles

Post by SteinOnkel »

You need to unbolt the center support bearing (unbolt it from the chassis, much easier) and the driveshaft at the differential. Mark it with a felt pin at the diff and re-install it the same way.

It may still need some motivation to slide off.

There may be two different size bolt lengths for the guibo. Install the shorter three with the heads facing the back of the car. Do not remove the metal strap that's around the new guibo until after you've bolted everything up. It's a pita to force guibo into the shape it wants to be assembled without the strap. Oh but also make sure you remove it when you are done. Otherwise it will go kapow at 40mph. Ask me how I know :mrgreen:
Cmat20
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider

Post by Cmat20 »

Thanks for the explanation! I'll let you know how it all goes. How do I remove the driveshaft from the differential? Do I press the pin out of the CV joint?
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

There are two flanges, one on the differential and one on the driveshaft, that are bolted together. Just unbolt them - but mark them first so you can put it back together in the same orientation.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)