Top Adjustment

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Top Adjustment

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hello,

installed the top. Really straightforward with two people.

It closes, just about as harshly as it did before. So we haven't made anything worse. However, the windshield frame bends a bit upon closure - that can't be right, can it?

The rear brow is at the end of its adjustment. Would raising the top up or down on the B pillar do anything? Are the latches in the front adjustable?

Thanks
Steiny
Zoofly
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Top Adjustment

Post by Zoofly »

I replaced my top last spring. I believe there is a little adjustment play with the pivot point that may help you out. It is the bolt that the frame attaches to the car. You're able to slide the frame up or down on the bolt. I think in your case you'd want to slide the frame as far up as possible. I find it hard to write instructions (and decipher them) so I hope I'm making sense.

2020 124 Spider Abarth
2019 Alpha Romeo Stelvio - sold
1977 Triumph Spitfire
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica - sold
1999 Jaguar XK8 - sold
1998 BMW Z3 - sold
1988 Pontiac Fiero - sold
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

Zoofly wrote:I replaced my top last spring. I believe there is a little adjustment play with the pivot point that may help you out. It is the bolt that the frame attaches to the car. You're able to slide the frame up or down on the bolt. I think in your case you'd want to slide the frame as far up as possible. I find it hard to write instructions (and decipher them) so I hope I'm making sense.

Nope, makes perfect sense to me. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I wonder if the latches (either on the top or on the car) can slide a bit. It wouldn't need much, maybe a few mm here and there that should make it close much nicer.
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Top of windshield frame top mounts have very little play. They do have a little. Store car with top up.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban