Convertible top brow

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Convertible top brow

Post by SteinOnkel »

Yo,

so I'm trying to reinstall my convertible top. Top and frame went in fairly easily, just had to retap one of the threads in the b pillars. So far so good.

The metal "brow" that holds everything in place in the back is a bit of a mystery to me. It sticks out at least an inch on one side and I can only install with brute force and ignorance. Am I doing something wrong or is it bent?

The way I've been attempting it is to un-do the velcro portions of the top, fold that section up over the rest of the roof, install the brow as centered as I possibly can and then grab it along with the top and try to angle it so that all the holes line up. They do - until you get to the very last outside one. It's 1.5inches outside of the car :(
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Convertible top brow

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I never pass up a chance to, ahem, "brow-beat" Steiny, so here goes! :D

I've always installed a top starting at the back. Install that metal "brow" (clamp) into the recess in the top, then compress the sides of the brow so that the 6 tabs slide down inside the car. This might take 2 people, once on each side. If one of the side tabs on your brow is sticking outside the car, there's something wrong, like your brow could be bent. Normally I do have to compress a bit on each forward-pointing arm, but not excessively.

Then install and tighten the six bolts holding the brow to the body. Then do the front of the top, and then finally, the wraps that go around the metal frame supports that go across the top.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hahaha!

Yeah, it seems like it's one of those things where somebody who has done it before knows exactly how to grab it and click it's in place.

I will need to recruit someone else for this purpose - my partner is freaking out about damaging the paint.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

SteinOnkel wrote:I will need to recruit someone else for this purpose - my partner is freaking out about damaging the paint.
Not that it's any consolation, but I made exactly that "mistake" on my last paint job/top replacement. Fortunately, the scratch was fairly minor and I just used some touch up paint to get it as best I could.

Could you lay some plastic sheeting (or cardboard) on the appropriate painted surfaces so that any goofs won't scratch the paint? Or even a towel?

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

We tried that...she has the uncanny ability to put pieces inches AWAY from the fender grippers :D