Water Pump Install Question

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
vanover69
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 124 Spider

Water Pump Install Question

Post by vanover69 »

Hello to all
Ok so Ive installed my new timing belt and moving onto the water pump install
As I was cleaning the water pump bolts I noticed thread seal on two of the bolts

Question
Should I put thread seal on the threads of the bolts?

Thanks in advance your advice

Robert
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Water Pump Install Question

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

My recollection is that those water pump bolts go into "blind" holes, that is, they aren't exposed to coolant in the block. However, these bolts do often seize in the block over time, and so is the stuff that you're seeing maybe anti-seize goop rather than sealant?

I've also seen where the washers under those 4 bolts should be copper washers, which implies that they are there to seal, but I'm not seeing how coolant gets up into the bolt passages. Unless the water pump gasket is not sealing. Maybe someone can set me straight on this.

I think I've raised more questions than answers, so I'll stop while I'm ahead. :D

-Bryan
Nut124
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by Nut124 »

I believe at least some of the water pump bolts go into thru holes and can leak if not sealed in some way.

It should be easy to check whether blinnd or thru holes when the pump is out.

I bought a set of copper washers of many sizes online for $10.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Nut124 wrote:I believe at least some of the water pump bolts go into thru holes and can leak if not sealed in some way.

It should be easy to check whether blinnd or thru holes when the pump is out.
I replaced water pumps on both my spiders in the last year, and I can say that the holes for the two long bolts were both blind. I ran a thread chaser down through the threads, and it definitely bottomed out. In fact, if you have to replace a long bolt like I did, you have to make sure it's exactly the right length. Too long and it will bottom out before tightening the water pump to the block, and too short won't give you enough threads to grab on to.

Unfortunately, I can't recall whether the holes for the 2 shorter pump bolts were blind or open at the backside.

So as to not waste the time of the OP too much longer, I would just say that thread sealant can't hurt, may even be advisable, but in any case you do NOT want to use threadlocker or anything that makes a permanent seal.

-Bryan