Paint Prep need some advice

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Paint Prep need some advice

Post by aj81spider »

Nice job. It looks great!
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yep, great job, Steiny! Forgot to ask: I think you removed the trunk lid to paint separately, but why didn't you just prop it open on the car like you did with the hood? Just curious.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Yep, great job, Steiny! Forgot to ask: I think you removed the trunk lid to paint separately, but why didn't you just prop it open on the car like you did with the hood? Just curious.

-Bryan
Because getting to the inner edge of the car (where the seal sits) would have been very difficult. And it would have most likely thrown a shadow onto the piece between the deck lid and the convertible top. Which is a super important area for the overall look of the car.
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:Because getting to the inner edge of the car (where the seal sits) would have been very difficult. And it would have most likely thrown a shadow onto the piece between the deck lid and the convertible top. Which is a super important area for the overall look of the car.
Good reasons, and thanks for that explanation. Come to think of it, the three cars I have painted were two 124 sport coupes and an old American landyacht. And a couple fenders on a 124 spider. None of that work involved the rear decklid right behind a convertible top.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Next car I am painting I'm taking it down to bare metal. Too many reaction spots on the Fiat, which was a real time-suck. I had to reprime the stupid cowl twice. That piece is a complete mystery to me anyways, I'm 90% they just grabbed it off some random Fiat that had a "close enough" color.

This Grand Prix White though mmmh baby. I already ordered some fender covers :lol:
18Fiatsandcounting

I've heard that wax buildup can really cause problems when trying to repaint, although maybe there are solvents that will take off the wax deposits before priming. And of course you can just grind it off, down to bare metal as you note. Apparently the wax can work its way pretty deep into the old paint over the years.

-Bryan
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Yes, the car should be stripped of wax and other surface contaminants before doing any sanding. Otherwise, the wax, etc. just gets pushed into the lower layers of paint or filler. Kleen-Strip "Prep-All" is one such product. Even if you're going all the way down to bare metal, I'd strip it first.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Well, we did wash everything with Acetone. That's pretty standard practice, I think?

I'm not really talk about wax. More like some reaction with weird primers or whatever that have been on the car for ??? years.
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

I think the commercial products use a combination of acetone and alcohol. Why not check with your paint supplier for his recommendations?
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Because the paint is already on the car ;)

Speaking of commercial products. California has some pretty strict rules what paint they can and cannot sell you on paper. I was asked if I could provide a different address when I picked up the paint, preferably out of state. Which I can, Alabama is my second home.

Anyway, the paint had a VOC of 6.2 :D
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

Steiny,
This is my next undertaking. Sure glad I could read through your post.
I am certain there is only the original paint on mine. Will be going for a bit deeper red.

What paint gun did you get?
Did you do any clear?

Geo
(and yes, the black hood will be gone)
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

1.8mm HVLP gun for the primer. We used two quarts (no door jambs, outside surfaces only).

We went with the Spectre...something or another 1.4mm HTE for the main coat. It's from HF and around $100. Great gun though. 1 quart of paint equals three coats.

Was a single stage, so there's clear already in it, but not on top.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

would you recommend single vs base/clear?
I've read pros/cons for both

hows the tranny
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

geospider wrote:would you recommend single vs base/clear?
I've read pros/cons for both

hows the tranny
Depends. Do you want it to look good for a few years or a really long time? The durability just isn't there for single stage.

It is currently chilling underneath the car in the garage, waiting to be re-installed. But I ain't doing a damn thing in this rainy weather that doesn't involve a heater, video games and beer ;)
Spider951
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by Spider951 »

Steiny,
Nice work!! you give me confidence to try this. In one of my previous lifetimes I repainted an old truck - my first (and last) attempt at painting. Results looked like, ...well......a paint job done by someone who didn't know what he was doing. (I did have fun with all the confused, comical looks on people's faces - [it was just a beater work truck]). I could not control the runs on any vertical surface (and on some horizontal as well). Maybe your choice of paint gun is a clue (I can't remember what gun I used, but it must have been appropriate for painting barns or something huge that would please livestock), plus you must have the right touch. Any sage advice on spray technique?