Center cover pieces (transmission tunnel cover and radio piece) attachments

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Center cover pieces (transmission tunnel cover and radio piece) attachments

Post by rjkoop »

Finally done the transmission on my car. Putting the plastic center cover back on the transmission tunnel (that looks fine) but how do you normally attach the upper cover (where the radio fits into)? My car had screws that went through the upper cover into the lower cover. There must be a better way?

Richard
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Center cover pieces (transmission tunnel cover and radio piece) attachments

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

rjkoop wrote:There must be a better way?
Nope. For FIAT during production times trying to meet quarterly deadlines, there was not. They put the various consoles into position, rammed a self-tapping screw into whatever metal happened to be there, and all was good. Customers didn't notice the problems, and it's only we guys 40 year later or so that try and figure this out.

-Bryan
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Ok. Thanks for the info. I got a bunch of the #6 and #8 tap screws with the nicer washers. I think that will be fine.

It's funny how you work on something really difficult on the car (ie the transmission rebuild) and then you sweat the small stuff... because it's so easy compared to the other job! So why not? :D

Richard
18Fiatsandcounting

rjkoop wrote:It's funny how you work on something really difficult on the car (ie the transmission rebuild) and then you sweat the small stuff... because it's so easy compared to the other job! So why not? :D
I hear you Richard. I removed the transmission in my spider last week to rebuild it (waiting on parts as we speak), and to bring back some semblance of mental sanity, I refurbished the rearview mirror in the meantime. Sometimes minor victories are needed.

-Bryan
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

18Fiatsandcounting

But... But... But... I spent all that work cleaning up my rearview mirror....!! Too funny.

Reminds me of a Car & Driver (or maybe Road & Track) article back in the 80s, when they were reviewing the latest Ferrari. They noted, "Got a problem with something in your rearview mirror? Stomp on the gas pedal in this car and the problem instantly disappears."

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I gotta go find that movie now.

thinking and outdoor movie event (OK for the bay area Fiats). could prob come up with quite a few for a series or at least one fun night.

geo
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

geospider wrote:I gotta go find that movie now.

thinking and outdoor movie event (OK for the bay area Fiats). could prob come up with quite a few for a series or at least one fun night.

geo
Raul Julia needed to work on his Italian Broken English, most old country Italians would have said Watsa behinda me is no importen. Usually drop the ending consonant or add a vowel. At least he tried.

Yes I can say Gumball despite being a 1st generation Sicilian. As a senior citizen I drive sedately now to commensurate with my stage in life and position in the community.
davebdave
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by davebdave »

Lol, I didn’t have to click on the YouTube link to know what scene it was. I offer my take on the line in this video I made with our daughter 10 years ago. Skip to 4:40 unless you want to appreciate how easy the top is to operate in the 124 compared to a 1992 Ferrari.

https://youtu.be/Mq_vyfBeMfo