Front Lights Good Replacement Kit?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
evrenosogullari
Your car is a: Fiat Spider 1980 Automatic

Front Lights Good Replacement Kit?

Post by evrenosogullari »

My right front light only works when High Beams are on for some reason.

I'm guessing the bulb is blown?

Found this online:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fiat-12 ... b-new.aspx

Anyone have any good replacement light sources? Maybe even one that is LED or brighter than the usual Fiat Spider lights?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Front Lights Good Replacement Kit?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Check also that a fuse isn't blown. At least on the earlier cars, there are 4 separate fuses for L/R, Hi/Lo. Again on the earlier cars, the right front low-beam is Fuse E (Fuse A being closest to the steering column).

If the fuse is blown, check to make sure something isn't shorting like a wire to the headlamp. The fuses don't ordinarily blow without a cause.

On LED lights, they are brighter, and the illuminated area is much more distinct with LEDs. Some people like that, and some don't.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

Generally speaking, aftermarket LED lights are terrible. There is so much junk on the market and nothing is being properly tested. Most of them are illegal to run, by the way. Also, shame on Midwest for not uttering a word about DOT compliance. As far as brighter goes, yeah that's great. What about your fellow man in oncoming traffic?

Get a nice set of sealed beam 7"round headlights. They're like $20 at your local parts dealer.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

SteinOnkel wrote:Generally speaking, aftermarket LED lights are terrible. There is so much junk on the market and nothing is being properly tested. Most of them are illegal to run, by the way. Also, shame on Midwest for not uttering a word about DOT compliance. As far as brighter goes, yeah that's great. What about your fellow man in oncoming traffic?

Get a nice set of sealed beam 7"round headlights. They're like $20 at your local parts dealer.
Sorry but I completely disagree here. I’ve had these exact lights from Midwest Bayless for 2 years now and they are nothing short of AMAZING. At the suggestion of Matt at Midwest I adjusted the lights quite a bit down to make sure not to cause oncoming traffic issues. I’ve had zero issues with them and would recommend them to anyone. Worth every part of the $88 if you drive at night.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

TheBender wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:Generally speaking, aftermarket LED lights are terrible. There is so much junk on the market and nothing is being properly tested. Most of them are illegal to run, by the way. Also, shame on Midwest for not uttering a word about DOT compliance. As far as brighter goes, yeah that's great. What about your fellow man in oncoming traffic?

Sorry but I completely disagree here. I’ve had these exact lights from Midwest Bayless for 2 years now and they are nothing short of AMAZING. At the suggestion of Matt at Midwest I adjusted the lights quite a bit down to make sure not to cause oncoming traffic issues. I’ve had zero issues with them and would recommend them to anyone. Worth every part of the $88 if you drive at night.
And the DOT says what to these? And your local state laws governing aftermarket lights?

Risky business driving around with potentially illegal lights.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

SteinOnkel wrote:
TheBender wrote:

And the DOT says what to these? And your local state laws governing aftermarket lights?

Risky business driving around with potentially illegal lights.
I have to agree here that a good many of the LED lights available are only DOT Certified for Off Road use or as Fog Lamps and not for use when driving on public roadways. A good quality Osram/Sylvania Silver Star Glass Sealed Beam with the lighting relays installed to maintain correct voltage will often be the best choice for a roadway vehicle. I know many have no qualms about running illegal however it is what it is.

If DOT has them classified as For Off Road Use Only then personally I am not going to take my chances and run them on a public roadway.

Regardless of what bulbs you choose you still need to deal with correcting any voltage drop first. LED tend to run very hot and need a heat sink and sometimes even a cooling fan to bleed off that heat so you really do not want any voltage drop making them run even hotter.