Give me a reason

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Give me a reason

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hey guys,

I took the Fiat for a spin just for funsies tonight. What a great little car. I've got a couple of minor quirks to work out, but it's so tantalizingly close to being 100% sorted mechanically.

My biggest issue is that I don't have a reason to drive it right now. It just sits here at home, like all of us.

So what do you guys say? Meetup for a beer somewhere? Probably Bryan's turn to stay close to home?

Cheers
Steiny
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Give me a reason

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I have the same thoughts Steiny. I have got my '71 Fiat back together and am driving it around, although the '69 is now in pieces up on jack stands. The '71 is a fun little car, and so far it seems pretty reliable although I doubt I would want to go hundreds of miles until I do some more "practice runs".

How about a drive around the Bay Area one Saturday or Sunday? Perhaps not too far as to not challenge our trusty little autos too much, but a loop around Mt. Diablo or the like? Or San Pablo Reservoir? Might have to avoid fire zones, but I imagine in a week or two that would be possible.

Meet up at a brew pub at the end. Im Himmel, gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir's hier.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Both of those sound excellent. I'm going to cast my vote for San Pablo Reservoir though.

And here's why (gather round ye, listen to my sad tale). I have only driven up Mt Diablo once. With my 1998 Porsche Boxster. It was mine for three glorious months, a true childhood dream realized. The security guard told us the park would close in about 15 minutes and the drive to the summit is "at least 20 minutes.". We put that statement to the test and blasted up there like it was Pike's Peak. The six cylinder boxer was so happy to be in its element. And we made summit with 3 minutes to spare. The car never really ran the same again and cold starts from that day forward were always a bit iffy. Then when it came time for the first oil change, the filter element was full of metal flakes :(

It broke my little automotive heart and I cannot return to the scene of the crime. I simply can't.

Im Himmel, gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir's hier.

Aber dort gibt es einen kleinen blauen Porsche :)
Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Post by Jimb »

How about a drive either up over the Malahat to the Crow and Gate pub, or catch an early ferry to Saltspring Island , drive into Ganges then around the island loop and back home by say the 7 or 8 pm ferry?

Jim
18Fiatsandcounting

Jimb wrote:How about a drive either up over the Malahat to the Crow and Gate pub, or catch an early ferry to Saltspring Island , drive into Ganges then around the island loop and back home by say the 7 or 8 pm ferry?

Jim
That would work for me, Jim, but there is a small issue in that most of us are about 1000 miles away. Perhaps you and Dinghyguy could have a go at it?

Back to Steiny: Well, since Mt. Diablo is on the "bad Ju-Ju" list for you, San Pablo Reservoir is fine with me. We just gotta get ScrapIron and Geo and perhaps Green Fiats and ToySpider and I'm sure I'm missing someone. Möglicherweise finden wir da deinen kleinen blauen Porsche. Und vielleicht ein neues Fiat transmission dabei. Das wäre ganz prima.

-Bryan
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

Sat afternoon the Italian cars are driving from vancouver to squamish for coffee and then returning

Not the Malahat but still nice on a hot afternoon

Cheers
Dinghyguy with the new garage!
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
18Fiatsandcounting

Welcome back, Dinghyguy. How's the "much better than the too small garage" project coming along?

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
Jimb wrote:How about a drive either up over the Malahat to the Crow and Gate pub, or catch an early ferry to Saltspring Island , drive into Ganges then around the island loop and back home by say the 7 or 8 pm ferry?

Jim
That would work for me, Jim, but there is a small issue in that most of us are about 1000 miles away. Perhaps you and Dinghyguy could have a go at it?

Back to Steiny: Well, since Mt. Diablo is on the "bad Ju-Ju" list for you, San Pablo Reservoir is fine with me. We just gotta get ScrapIron and Geo and perhaps Green Fiats and ToySpider and I'm sure I'm missing someone. Möglicherweise finden wir da deinen kleinen blauen Porsche. Und vielleicht ein neues Fiat transmission dabei. Das wäre ganz prima.

-Bryan
I think Tony is still laying low.

Let's pick a weekend. I got nothing going on 09/12. And the Spider is in a reasonable-ish state. I "fixed" the transmission whine by installing the rubber boot around the shifter, lol. Gotta throw some foam around the tunnel underneath the center console and maybe install the the radio ;)
18Fiatsandcounting

Sept. 12 would work for me. Should be cooler then, and it will give me a chance to move all my '69 parts off of my '71 spider, as I've been using the latter as a storage shelf while I work on the former. Just finished putting new motor mounts in the '69, and this week is also a redo of the brakes.

But the '71 runs, and that's all I need.

-Bryan
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:I "fixed" the transmission whine by installing the rubber boot around the shifter, lol. Gotta throw some foam around the tunnel underneath the center console and maybe install the the radio ;)
Yep, Fiat spiders will have quite a bit of transmission whine if the rubber boot and/or foam seal are missing at the top of the transmission extension. Evidently these two items cut down the transmission noise considerably. I've also been known to loosely fill my leather shifter boot with some foam chips to cut down the noise even further.

Ideally that rubber boot has a ridge that fits into the groove in the square opening of the transmission extension, for a pretty tight seal. And the "flaps" around the edge of the boot should loosely push up against the underside of the transmission tunnel.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Lol the AR one has foam glued to it for exactly that reason...

https://autoricambi.us/transmission-inner-shifter-boot/

Mine's a bit torn, time to replace it. And next weekend if one of you guys could explain to me how on earth the shifter extension is supposed to be assembled, that would be much appreciated.
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

There is also this next Saturday. Came highly recommended from my VW friends:

"WERE BACK!!!!!
**ALL MAKES, ALL MODELS, ALL YEARS WELCOME** FREE!!!!!

Ok my friends here we are, ROUND 3!!! Last year we had over 200 rides from all over California this year let's make it over 300!!! Get out and enjoy this beautiful state in our amazing rides and with even better people from all walks of life, all different car clubs, all varieties of vehicles E.T.C!!! And as always at our shows the cruise & car show is COMPLETELY FREE :)

***THIS YEARS BAND IS THE AMAZING "THREE BAD JACKS" ***

I GUESS IT'S TIME TO FINALLY POST MEETUP/ TRAVEL STOPS E.T.C!!

Official meet up spot will again be the park & rides on both south & north sides of rohnert park expressway exit @ 745AM & we will be leaving @815 sharp!!! It is here you will get your free medal, vehicle info sheet, directions(just in case) e.t.c
From their we will travel north on highway 101 (and pickup other vehicles along side of freeway) and make our first official stop in Ukiah @ Walmart/ Jack in the box parking lot to pickup several dozen other cars and for gas @ 930AM & leave @ 945 and from their back to highway 101 north and stop in Willits Safeway parking lot (gas also) and pickup couple dozen other rides) @ 1015 & leave around 1030AM and from their we make our final trek to the drive thru tree in leggett!! Arrival time 1130AM (here they gave gift shop/ lake/ e.t.c)
Car show/ BBQ/ band/ raffles e.t.c
NO RSVP NEEDED, FULLY FREE EVENT AND ALL ARE WELCOME!! Their will be people/ cars coming from all over California (and beyond) if you want to meetup with people in your area to cruise to the official meetup spot just let me know I can get you in touch with a group around ya :)

**Full weekend adventures (if you so choose to stay) bbq e.t.c STAY TUNED. **

IF YOU WANT FLIERS PM ME OR SWING BY THE SHOP :)"
Andiamo
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by Andiamo »

Well, that sounded like a potential GREAT time. I'm excited to get out and partake in some of this kind of fun.
"Let's GO!"