Steering box replacement with Lada Niva gear box

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
TwinFast
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Steering box replacement with Lada Niva gear box

Post by TwinFast »

I'am considering replacing my steering gear box and I am wondering if the Lada Niva boxes are compatible with my 78 Fiat Spider. Especially the one with long shaft (21cm)

Thanks for any suggestion.
Fiat 124 Spider 1.8L 1978
Jaguar XKR 4.2L 2009
Harley Davidson Fat Bob 96Ci 2011
Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Re: Steering box replacement with Lada Niva gear box

Post by Odoyle »

I presume you are looking for a new steering box because the old one feels worn out. First question, have adjusted the steering box to remove the play in the steering wheel down to less than 1 in with no binding or tightness in either direction? (Done with front end jacked up and wheels pointed straight) IF that cannot be done then I would look at rebuilding the box, if the steering worm roller is in decent shape you can replacing bearing, races and seals. If steering worm is too worn for use I would look for a new box.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I'm kinda with Odoyle on this, in that I would only replace the steering box if it had a major issue like a cracked body, broken teeth, etc. You can buy new seals if oil leakage is the only issue. And, as Odyle points out, there is an adjustment to reduce steering play (the screw in the top with the locknut). Not easy, but it can be done. Don't overtighten as this can cause binding and possible damage. If the steering requires excessive force to turn the wheels, that could be lack of oil in the steering box, an issue with the idler box on the other side (fairly common), rusty tie-rod ends or ball joints, and even low tire pressure.

Note that it's a worm and roller design, so it will not have the precision of a modern rack and pinion system.

One other note, and that is that taking out and replacing the steering box is one of those jobs that will teach you some Italian swear words, and often requires removing many other items to be able to remove the box.

-Bryan
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Replaced mine a few weeks ago. The original box had too much play and was leaking. I had two good spares from parts cars and picked the best one. It's not crazy hard, but you have to remove the starter to get the box out. Trying to fill the box through that tiny 8mm plug takes quite a while. You either get creative with clear vinyl tubing and let gravity take over, or you can remove the entire top. Remove the 4 top hold down bolts, then with a big slotted screwdiver keep the center adjusting stud from moving while you loosen and remove the large nut. Then keep the screwdriver on the adjusting stud and spin off the top as it's threaded on that stud too. You can then inspect and quickly refill the box.

Having a kit like this helps a lot. Especially the tool in the top right, and top middle of the first photo. Most auto parts stores will have this kit to rent/borrow. Pickle forks destroy the tie rod boots.

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Tool-B ... 0208&psc=1
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I am also in the rebuild the one you got camp even if its a spare that you have laying around.

Be mindful that there are adjustments for both the cross shaft and the main shaft with the recirculating ball worm gear.
TwinFast
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by TwinFast »

Thank you all for your responses.
I have already adjusted the play, fill the steering box with fresh 90EP oil. When I bought the car the steering box was empty with no oil. After 6 months, I have corrected the play and replaced all the steering shaft bearings and the problem remains the same.

I think the worm is completely destroyed. I'm assuming the last owner had the car sitting in the garage for a long time and probably used it from time to time with no oil in the steering box ....

That's why I prefer to go for a complete replacement than a simple service with expensive parts.

The price for a Fiat 124 Spider steering box in Europe is around 150/180€ and the one for old Lada Niva is Half the price and looks exactly the same. This is why I ask if Lada Steering box can work ... if not I'll go for the Fiat One.
Jaguar XKR 4.2L 2009
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Given the additional info, yep, it sounds like your steering box gears might be worn. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Lada unit you mention, but perhaps someone else here does.

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

Inspect it first since steering box bearings are usually pretty common and inexpensive tapered cone bearings and perhaps an open ball bearing on the end of the worm shaft.

If you did not take the box apart and adjust the play on both the sector and worm shafts then the job of adjusting out the play is only half done. Note that on some boxes one of the adjustments for play may have to be done with shims or by using a thinner gasket.

Be sure to replace the shaft seals if you give rebuilding it a shot.

Note that even with the Fiat specific boxes you may find you need to take the new box apart and reuse one of the shafts from your old steering box which is the one that will be internally adjusted potentially with shims.
Last edited by DieselSpider on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwinFast
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by TwinFast »

DieselSpider wrote:Inspect it first since steering box bearings are usually pretty common and inexpensive tapered cone bearings and perhaps an open ball bearing on the end of the worm shaft.

If you did not take the box apart and adjust the play on both the sector and worm shafts then the job of adjusting out the play is only half done. Note that on some boxes one of the adjustments for play may have to be done with shims of by using a thinner gasket.

Be sure to replace the shaft seals if you give rebuilding it a shot.

Note that even with the Fiat specific boxes you may find you need to take the new box apart and reuse one of the shafts from your old steering box which is the one that will be internally adjusted potentially with shims.
Thanks DieselSpder, I have to remove the Gearbox for synchro job, I'll take off the steering box for thorough inspection.
Jaguar XKR 4.2L 2009
abarth4
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by abarth4 »

If anyone has some spare steering box input shaft shims (especially the thin ones) i need a couple. See my post in the Parts Wanted forum. Hopefully I won't have to get some shim stock and make my own. :lol: Thanks.
Charlie
Charlie Bates
Metamora, IL, USA
1971 Fiat 124 Spider
1974 Fiat X-1/9
1970 Fiat Dino Spider 2400
2019 Fiat 500X
abarth4
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by abarth4 »

Never mind. Wound up making my own