Magneti Marelli Wiper Motor Questions

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jskinner96
Your car is a: 1985-5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider

Re: Magneti Marelli Wiper Motor Questions

Post by jskinner96 »

azruss wrote:take the top of the gearbox. 90% of the time, it is the plastic gear that's stripped and not the motor.
how do you get that white, plastic gear out? If that's my culprit I'd like to replace it but I don't see how you get it out of there. Also, it kind of seems like the stem from the motor isn't inserting quite as far in as it should. I've pulled back the three pieces of metal that glide on it and pushed it up in there but is seems like it should go another 1/8 inch or so but I can't push it up in there.
1985.5 Pininfarina Azzurra Spider
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

It must be different on your model year. On the earlier years, there is a nut and a lockwasher (and I believe also a flat washer underneath those) that hold the gear onto the spindle. Remove the nut and washer(s), and the spindle should slide out the rear, and then the gear should pop out. The spindle is the part that attaches to the first linkage that goes to the wiper arm spindle closest to the motor.

Note that (at least on the earlier years) the spindle has flattened sides where it inserts into the gear, which itself has a sort of "squarish" hole. If the gear isn't all the way on the spindle, your motor might turn but your wipers won't.

-Bryan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

once you have the nut that holds the arm on and the washers look close at the shave where it meets the conical cap piece. There is usually a thin round spring clit that is tricky to get off. Its works like a "C"clip but its made of a spring type wire. Once that clip is off the shaft pushes out with the white gear on it.
Also, it kind of seems like the stem from the motor isn't inserting quite as far in as it should.
the outer cover that has the permanent magnetis in it has an index notch and the cast part it mates with had a tooth that has to go into that notch. are they in alignment??