Replacing Remote Door Mirror

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
sunbeam63
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat 2000

Replacing Remote Door Mirror

Post by sunbeam63 »

I've recently gone through the process of backdating my 1982 Fiat Spider to how I feel it should look like as a 1960s era car. I did very easy changes, such as replacing the bumpers, rims, and adding chrome wipers, wiper washer nozzles, adding a nardi wood rimmed steering wheel and putting on the 60's window cranks. Photos of the car are below. I love the car and how it looks.

The last thing that would finish the look is changing the door mirror to a chrome body one. Has anyone done this? I'd like to retain the remote function. One mirror that seemed like a suitable was a 1970 cutlass mirror, shown below. Keep in mind, I believe I measured the distance between the mounting holes to be 6cm on the Fiat, and I know the distance between mounting holes on the Cutlass mirror is 2 1/8 in, so some modifications would need to be done to this specific mirror.

My only other solution would be to paint the mirror chrome, but not sure how that would look. I'm curious if anyone has experience swapping out mirrors and what mirror they used.
1961 International Scout 80
1963 Series 3 Sunbeam Alpine
1964 MG MGB
1982 Fiat Spider 2000
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Replacing Remote Door Mirror

Post by aj81spider »

I used a mirror I found on Ebay (I think it's modeled after an old Chevy). It doesn't have an adjuster, but it's easier simply reaching out and moving it based on where it is on my car.

I had to drill one hole and I used on existing hole. When I bought it I measured the existing holes and made sure I bought something with a base big enough to cover them.

A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)