1980 124 2000 resto the rusto

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
ster1
Your car is a: 2008 Element

1980 124 2000 resto the rusto

Post by ster1 »

Hi all,

I purchased this 1980 124 from a junkyard auction last year. I spent the winter getting it mechanically and electrically stable. I'm still working on those things :) I'm moving my thread from the "Fiat Spider Related" to here; I'm thinking it's more appropriate. In any case, I've done a ton of work (see my other thread for a little more detail), and it's almost derivable. This morning, I went to replace the driveshaft carrier bearing and when I tried to drop the cross-member under the bearing, the passenger side stud broke loose and started to spin. I started looking for the top, and I found... rust. Lots of it. I knew this car not only had rust, but had a bad rep for really rotten rot. I may be one of those sorry guys who got a really rotten car. Here's a few pics of the floorpan on the passenger side:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bkk3fi542luo ... CLMla?dl=0

Please let me know if you can't see them. I think I set the permissions right.

That's a bit more rust than I had originally thought. I am a (shall we say, senior?) mechanic and an experienced welder, but I have never done body work (or more accurately, been good at it). I don't know how much I can remove without weakening the structure of the car. I'm still reading the tons and tons of threads on the topic herein. There's alot of guys who seem to be in a similar situation as me, but the information is almost overwhelming :) I'm getting through it though.

My plan was to get the car driveable, and enjoy it this summer, and this coming winter, bring it back into the garage and do the bodywork. The way that rust is now, I'm not completely certain I'm going to pass inspection, and even be able to drive it at all, until it's fixed. I mean, I could just glass the hell out of it, and get it to pass inspection, and continue on with my plan, I suppose.

That's all for now. Just thought I'd get my "restoration" thread started. This is going to be a long journey.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: 1980 124 2000 resto the rusto

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I know this looks very disheartening, but there are many on this forum who come across this sort of situation on a regular basis, and sometimes the results can be amazing. You can do everything from welding in new floor pans and seat supports, to just cleaning it up as best you can and living with it.

I'm not familiar with the inspection you mention. Is this some sort of safety inspection? If so, do they inspect for rust?

I faced a similar situation with my '71 last year. Since my intention was not to create a show-quality car, or to have to pass a safety inspection, I cleaned out all the loose rust and every molecule of that nasty sound-deadening material that Fiat put in the interior. I followed that up with some vigorous wire brushing, and some pop-riveted brackets to provide more strength to the seat supports. Followed by a generous coat of underbody coating, both inside and out, and brand new thermal/sound barrier material, cut to size. Floor pans, transmission and driveshaft tunnel, etc. With a new carpet set, you can't even notice anything was every wrong, even from underneath. But, I am in California and the car rarely if ever sees rain, so you may opt for a better solution. My approach cost about $100 total, and $70 of that was for the insulation blanket material.

-Bryan
ster1

Post by ster1 »

The inspection is a VIN inspection. It’s the same inspection they give to vehicles you’re rebuilding from salvage. I have to do that because the title is lost. I bought it without a title. So, I have to get a title bond, a VIN inspection, and take that to the DMV, and I get a title. I’ve had a few done, and they do look at safety. They might consider rusting all the way though to be a safety issue. Kind of a stretch, but I guess it’s possible. Of course, if all the rust is under new carpet, who is going to know? I never thought of that :) thanks!
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

What state are you in? (one of the 50 states, not your current state of mind....)

The reason I ask is that when I bought the '71 spider that I have now, in California, it was listed as "salvaged" on the title. That didn't mean squat to me, but when I took it the fine folks at the CA DMV office, they said, "Oh, that means it's been officially totaled and is regarded by the DMV as being in a junk yard." So, long story short, I had to prove the car was indeed drive-able, and that involved showing that the brakes were good and all the lights worked as well as stuff like the horn, had the right seatbelts, etc. But, I fixed all that stuff, and here we are 30 years later and the car is fine as far as the DMV is concerned. They did not check for rust.

But, that is California where rust is usually not an issue, and so that's why I asked what state you're in. Your state might be different.

-Bryan
ster1

Post by ster1 »

I’m insane. Or in Colorado. I’ve done a few myself, and for the same or similar reasons you did, and they never checked for rust either. But the cars were obviously in much better condition, and just presented better. I think I am over reacting a bit in my concern. I do like your idea of just putting come carpeting in there and cover it up. I bet that would do it! I’ve decided to go a little further and put some fiberglas and por15 on those big holes. Along with some new carpet. I think that’ll get it done, and let me drive it for a bit this year.

Of course, playing around with the driveshaft revealed new u-joints are necessary and my hazard flasher button just broke yesterday. Hah! It’s always something. I’m getting closer :)