Brews & Breakdowns

Shows, meets, organized drives, club info
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Brews & Breakdowns

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hey guys,

so the consensus seems to be it's safe enough for a little get-together like we did in Ferbruary.

700 Mitchell Lane, Windsor CA

(Make sure you don't go to the one in downtown Santa Rosa)

Date & Time: 06/20/2020 2:00PM

For those not in the know, Sonoma County is allowing dine-in at all restaurants. We tried to get a table at the brewery this past Saturday, but couldn't because it was too busy. I think the Windsor location has outdoor seating as well, which might be safer (and nicer), but I'm not 100% sure. If that all sucks, I know of a couple good spots to hang out at that are close by. Including my patio, where beer is always plentiful.

Also, because the news media seems too focused on the inevitable apocalypse to tell us how to actually prevent it, I'm going to leave this link here: www.lhi.care You can schedule a free covid 19 test there, symptoms or no, regardless of occupation. Might be a good idea to get tested before we hang out with people who might be in higher risk groups.

Cheers
Steiny
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Brews & Breakdowns

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

It's on my calendar, and so only a car breakdown or a domestic emergency will prevent me from being there. Thanks for putting this together, Steiny. See you on Saturday!

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I;m there as well. And Bryan, you had to say, "car break down" ?
Geo
18Fiatsandcounting

Yep, that was intentional, Geo. Not that I'm trying to jinx anything... Fiat gods be willing, we'll all be there on the 20th.

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by geospider »

with spare distributor in the trunk
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

....and maybe a rebuilt transmission. If I ever get my parts grrrrr.

I could throw that gearbox back into the car in two hours on Friday night.
18Fiatsandcounting

Shall we take bets on whether Steiny will show up in his Fiat, or his VW? I personally will buy him a beer (or two) if he shows up in his Fiat.

Either way, I likely won't be in my Fiat. I got the cylinder head back from the shop with the helicoil fix done on the #3 spark plug hole, and I'm putting the cam boxes back on and setting the valve clearances as we speak. The head will likely go back on later in the week, but I don't feel comfortable yet going very far in a car that has had extensive work done on it in the last year: Rebuilt front and rear suspensions, brakes, steering gear and damper boxes, drivetrain, electrical, cooling, and now, rebuilt cylinder head. At this point, the only things that haven't been taken apart are the block, the transmission, and the differential.

-Bryan
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by geospider »

Be careful what you say; it's listening.
saw the ultimate parts car yest; or fix motor and brakes and it's a driver.
18Fiatsandcounting

geospider wrote:Be careful what you say; it's listening.
Fiats are like a mistress. Ignore them at your peril. Kinda goes back to that wrath thing I keep mentioning.

Well, my cylinder head is all back together and valve clearances are 0.017" intake and 0.019" exhaust. Sweet. I still need to fix that corroded area around the thermostat housing opening in the front of the head, but my mechanic (and Dinghyguy) tells me that JB Weld works surprisingly well for that. Need to get a new batch, put it on, let it cure for a day, and then use a Dremel tool to shape it to the original shape. And then put the head back on the block, of course.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hold on to your bets.

Car will not be ready. Just got off the phone with what was easily the rudest conversation with a customer service representative in the past 18 months (and I have PG&E!). Don't buy from mrfiat.com I canceled my order and bought from AR instead.

Also, you don't need to support these guys. As he explained to me while laughing "We have thousands of customers". So no reason to give them your money, they have plenty.

That's Atlanta, Georgia, for you folks. Spent 4 months in that city and you couldn't pay me enough to go back.
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

Steiny - have you ever tried calling At&T? 20 layers of phone maze to talk to a person who can't help you.
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Post by geospider »

Yep, and I think our local newspaper hires grade schoolers in customer service.
and I used t deliver that as a kid. (ok, grade schoolers then too)
also Comcast: not so good.
When asking a rep from AAA why I should stay with them for a lot more money and the same coverage: "well we are AAA."
and now I am with Allstate

see you all Sat
Geo
18Fiatsandcounting

Hey, Geo and Steiny and Mason, good seeing you all today, and sorry I couldn't stay longer. In case you're interested, the diablo shrimp for dinner turned out just fine. Wifey was happy. And that's what counts. Perhaps even more than the main jet diameter for a 32/36 DFEV carb. Go figure.

-Bryan
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

Sorry I couldn't make it, water heater failures at two different rental units I manage. Amazing how a six year warranty water heater lasts 6 years and one month.

Installers tip I learned when I was in single digits, use a magic marker to write the installation date on the back of any appliance you put in. One of them was only eight months old.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Hey, Geo and Steiny and Mason, good seeing you all today, and sorry I couldn't stay longer. In case you're interested, the diablo shrimp for dinner turned out just fine. Wifey was happy. And that's what counts. Perhaps even more than the main jet diameter for a 32/36 DFEV carb. Go figure.

-Bryan
That is excellent news! We finished our Disneyland-Style Brewery experience. First you stand in line to then go through the building and stand in line some more. Eventually they served us beer out of stainless steel cups. Weird.

Let's try do the next one closer to Bryan!