Transmission rebuild

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Re: Transmission rebuild

Post by rjkoop »

Finally getting a chance to reinstall my rebuilt transmission. A few questions...

1. Got new gasket for the drain pan. Would you still use sealant on one or both of the surfaces?
2. I was able to get the transmissions out without removing the shifter (although all the interior pieces around the transmission were removed). Can I reinstall without removing the shifter? It's already reinstalled on the transmission and I'd rather not remove.

Richard
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

You should get other opinions, but I'll give you my experience. I had an incredibly difficult time getting the pan not to leak (in fact I think it still leaks just a little bit). I tried many different gaskets, a couple of different pans, and using and not using sealer.

What got it into it's best state for me was the paper gasket coated on both sides with Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

aj81spider wrote:You should get other opinions, but I'll give you my experience. I had an incredibly difficult time getting the pan not to leak (in fact I think it still leaks just a little bit). I tried many different gaskets, a couple of different pans, and using and not using sealer.

What got it into it's best state for me was the paper gasket coated on both sides with Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket.
Thanks. I took a closer look at the pan and transmission. And it looks perfectly flat to me and never leaked before. So I'm going to try the new gasket from AR and torque things down to 8ft/lbs. If that leaks I'll look at adding the gasket sealer. Thanks.

Honestly it will be a miracle if this transmission works anyways. The rebuild was the most complex thing I've ever attempted. And one wrong thing... :(

I've also replaced the clutch pressure plate and disc (easy) and I'm doing the clutch cable as well. The clutch cable looks easy too but some people seem to have horror stories.

If all goes well hope to get it on the road this weekend... :)

Richard
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Installed the new clutch cable. That was pretty easy when I realized I could put my hand up to the left of the clutch pedal and unhook the old cable. Also filled the transmission with Pennzoil Syncromesh oil and no leaks after a few days of sitting flat on the brench. So that's good.

One concern I had though... I did tilt the transmission about 30 degrees or so towards the output shaft end thinking I should try to get some oil in that rear area of the transmission which is kind of separated a bit from the main drain pan area. I noticed that oil came pretty quickly out from the output shaft area when i had it tilted. Of course when I put it back right again it stopped.

I'm concerned maybe I forgot to install the oil seal on the output shaft. Of course I can't see behind there anymore (now that the output shaft bolt it tightened down with all the other pieces there) and I doubt I would have missed something that obvious. But I was surprised that the oil came out that quickly.

Richard
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Post by RRoller123 »

We both did the same thing on ours, to get the rear compartment to fill. No oil at all came out of either transmission.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

rjkoop wrote:I'm concerned maybe I forgot to install the oil seal on the output shaft. Of course I can't see behind there anymore (now that the output shaft bolt it tightened down with all the other pieces there) and I doubt I would have missed something that obvious. But I was surprised that the oil came out that quickly.
Don't shoot the messenger, but it does sound like something is wrong with that rear seal or how it's installed. I'm going by memory here, but my recollection is that the inner diameter of the seal goes around the OD of the 3-pronged output yoke shaft where it inserts into the rear of the transmission. The ID of the seal should match the OD of that part, of course. Is the seal the correct one...?

Well, if it's any consolation, I once rebuilt a transmission and put everything back in the car, but it made a funny "siren like" noise when driving. I went back to my apartment to think it over, and it was then that I noticed the mainshaft spacer washer laying on the dining room table, which of course I had forgotten to install (the spacer washer, not the dining room table). It all had to come apart again. Sigh...

-Bryan
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

Also replace your clutch pedal. And check the firewall for cracks if you haven't already.

Lots of fussy things in the driveline.

I can't see any way the transmission would leak when tilted 30* unless a seal is missing.

The idea of installing it without the shifter extension intrigues me. Anybody done this before?
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Post by tima01864 »

I think that it made the job of removing the transmission and installingthe transmission that much easier by having the shifter out of the way.
Different story with the early Spiders, Different design you need to remove the flex shaft Guibo.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

RRoller123 wrote:We both did the same thing on ours, to get the rear compartment to fill. No oil at all came out of either transmission.
Yep. Found the problem! I'll post on another reply.

Richard
Last edited by rjkoop on Tue May 19, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

SteinOnkel wrote:Also replace your clutch pedal. And check the firewall for cracks if you haven't already.

Lots of fussy things in the driveline.

I can't see any way the transmission would leak when tilted 30* unless a seal is missing.

The idea of installing it without the shifter extension intrigues me. Anybody done this before?
No cracks in firewall. Clutch pedal looks strong.

Real easy to install without shifter extension. And easy to reinstall once transmission installed. Just pop it in and bolt it from under the car. Gives you a lot more room.

Richard
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
rjkoop wrote:I'm concerned maybe I forgot to install the oil seal on the output shaft. Of course I can't see behind there anymore (now that the output shaft bolt it tightened down with all the other pieces there) and I doubt I would have missed something that obvious. But I was surprised that the oil came out that quickly.
Don't shoot the messenger, but it does sound like something is wrong with that rear seal or how it's installed. I'm going by memory here, but my recollection is that the inner diameter of the seal goes around the OD of the 3-pronged output yoke shaft where it inserts into the rear of the transmission. The ID of the seal should match the OD of that part, of course. Is the seal the correct one...?

Well, if it's any consolation, I once rebuilt a transmission and put everything back in the car, but it made a funny "siren like" noise when driving. I went back to my apartment to think it over, and it was then that I noticed the mainshaft spacer washer laying on the dining room table, which of course I had forgotten to install (the spacer washer, not the dining room table). It all had to come apart again. Sigh...

-Bryan
Yep. I WAS missing the oil seal!

I think I was so focused on the internals I forgot something really obvious. And I think it's exactly the way you described it. It seems the seal doesn't go deep enough but once the output yoke shaft is in place I think that's what it seals against.

Here's another pic with the seal in place... just not tapped in.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Awesome, Richard, looks like you're in much better shape!

-Bryan
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:Awesome, Richard, looks like you're in much better shape!

-Bryan
I think so. I'm going to double check the other side and remove the bell housing which is pretty easy... just to ensure I didn't make the same mistake on the other side.

Richard
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

I hope you put loctite 515 on the spline of the output shaft or oil will leak from the spline.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Transmission back in. I brought it to a shop and they essentially just put it in and tighten the 4 bell housing bolts. I found it a pain to lie under the car and try to do it myself.

Reinstalled shifter and starter, ground cables, speedometer cable and new clutch cable and adjusted clutch. Drive shaft reinstalled and e-brake cables put back on. So I'm real close.

Richard