Refinishing Hubcaps

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Refinishing Hubcaps

Post by SteinOnkel »

Heyho,

so I ordered new tires (so long, 20 year old cracked Michelins :D) and I decided to a) stick with 13" and b) make things a bit prettier.

I've painted a steel wheel or two back in the day, so I'm pretty well versed with that.

The hubcaps are a bit of a mystery to me. Are they actually chromed? Is Chrome Spraypaint any good? How would one prep these - simply sand what's left of the finish down, primer and basecoat or...?

Thanks
Steiny
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Refinishing Hubcaps

Post by aj81spider »

If you are referring to this kind of hubcap (not mine, just a random picture off Google).

Then I think they are either chrome or polished steel. I'm not sure how you would refinish them. I've tried chrome paint before and never had much luck. It always comes out as a glossy silver color - that doesn't look like chrome. It may be that I've been using the wrong brands, but I don't bother even trying any more. If I were forced to refinish one of these I might paint them as I'm not sure you can get the shine back short of rechroming, an expense that doesn't seem worth it given how many of these are on eBay at reasonable prices.

If these are what you are referring to, I think I have a set of these in pretty good shape buried in my garage. I got rid of the wheels they went to a long time ago. If you are interested PM me. You can have them for the price of shipping. If not, no worries - they've been in my garage for several years - they can stay there longer.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

My experience with chrome paint is the same as A.J.'s, namely, that while it might be better than bare metal, it doesn't look like chrome despite the pretty pictures on the front of the spray can. I've tried 3 brands with the same results, so I really suggest that you do NOT try to repaint them. I can almost guarantee that you won't be happy.

So what is actually wrong with your hubcaps? Rust, dull, blotchey, or ? If they are dented, there's not much you can do about that. If dull or blotchey you might be able to buff them out with the right buffing wheel and polish. Try some good chrome polish like Meguiars or Mothers. I have no allegiance to these brands, but my general impression is that they are pretty good.

-Bryan
PS: I have a few extra hubcaps, so if you ever make it down to Livermore, we can probably work a deal.
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

The chrome hub caps usually polish up nicely and sometime placing a rag soaked in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water with a drop of Dawn Dish Soap in it will remove any rust stains and leave the caps ready to buff up with rouge and then clean off to refinish the grey painted areas before apply the polish/wax on them. The grey painted areas have to be allowed to fully cure before applying any polish to the exposed chrome areas.
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hey guys,

all good suggestions, thanks.

The problem with the ones I have is that on all four the chrome (paint?) has been taken off, down to the primer. Not everywhere, but noticeably enough. So polishing or buffing is a non-starter. Oh and one has a pretty sizeable rust spot.

I'll take a look at the ones AJ sent me. They're due to arrive today.

Then we'll see what needs doing going forward. Might take them to get a professional chome refinish.

Cheers
Steiny
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:Might take them to get a professional chome refinish.
Let us know what you find out as far as rechroming. I'd like to do my bumpers as they're pretty straight but the finish is dull. However, in looking around the Bay Area, it appears most places send them down to LA these days (because of environmental issues). Plus, the cost for a front bumper is around $1500. Anyway, if you find a local shop, let us know. Thanks.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Apart from astronomical prices, not much.

So the hubcaps that AJ sent are faded as well, but differently. Everything that isn't elevated on these looks faded - which makes it look intentional.

For now, I've done what I do best: nothing :D

Check it out, I think it's look pretty good.

18Fiatsandcounting

I think your hubcaps look pretty good, and sometimes the best course of action is to "do nothing". "When in doubt, do nothing" is sometimes my motto! :D

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Don't you mean "When in doubt - flat out?" :mrgreen:

Not that much happens in a 124 at wide open throttle...
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by aj81spider »

I don't think they are faded in the non-elevated part. I believe that's a texture that's part of the original look. If you Google "Fiat Spider Hubcaps" you'll see a lot of pictures that all look like that. I think the only shiny part is the elevated part.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:Not that much happens in a 124 at wide open throttle...
Things get much more interesting when you're in neutral, though! Back in my crazier days, I used to routinely rev my 1438 cc engine up around 7000 rpm. I once missed a shift and managed to hit 8000 (if you believe the tach), where it seemed to level off, probably due to valve float. :shock:

I'm not so crazy anymore...

-Bryan