Springs and shocks 1980 Spider without bumpers

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
greenspider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI manual

Springs and shocks 1980 Spider without bumpers

Post by greenspider »

I've read a zillion posts on this topic, sorry for another. What springs and shocks would anyone suggest for my 1980 Spider? I removed the stock bumpers and don't intend to re-install them. I'd like the car to sit right but have a comfortable touring ride. I run a sump guard and it already seems really low at 5 inches clearance. I currently have stock 13 inch wheels and springs with KYBs. I handles great in the twisties, but rides like a dump truck over bumps. What's the best ride height and measured from where? I also have a set of 14 inch turbo wheels that I plan to install but with lower profile tires shouldn't change the height. I also have a hardtop which increases weight. All that said, I'm looking for a better ride while retaining handling. Thanks for any recommendations. Tony
redcars
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Springs and shocks 1980 Spider without bumpers

Post by redcars »

The turbo wheels with 195r60 are just a little shorter than OEM size 13's. I have them both. Putting on koni in place of the KYB's will lower your ride hight a little. I have AR's performance lowering springs on my 82 with Koni reds, which are no longer available. I've driven 400 miles a day with it. I like the rider, but it is stiffer than stock. My 81 has OEM springs with KYB shocks and 13" wheels with 185/70 tires. The KYB's are OK if the road is smooth. The ride hight on the 82 is low, you just need to pay attention to where you go.
1987 Lotus Super 7 clone
1981 Fiat Spider 2000 AT
1982 Fiat Spider 2000 5sd
1970 Fiat Coupe
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I have the AR progressive springs with Koni yellows. Love it, about an inch lower. The Koni's have a softer feel than the KYBs which for these cars, I believe dampen the proper way. The springs work harder, the harder you drive on them. Also with 15" and 205/55 tires, so they offer a bit sharper ride. Most roads are fine.. watch the bumps. I think the same set up with your 14" and proper tires, you will be fine.

Geo
greenspider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI manual

Post by greenspider »

The AR site notes 24 inches ride height at the fender lip with their springs. Is that the preferred height? I assume that’s the same as Euro. Any preference between AR and Vogtland? Tony
chrisg
Your car is a: 1971 FIAT

Post by chrisg »

First & foremost, I would say get Konis. Yellows on the softer end of the spectrum with the AR springs is a very nice recipe. (Most) Gas shocks will do the 124 suspension no favors. You could have a play with springs...known early springs may be nice (there is a paint stripe, I believe, to identify them, but good luck finding them, who knows if an early car today has its original springs, etc) & I cutting stock springs can also work. In the great scheme of things, the “modern” progressive springs on the market are pretty affordable, so other approaches (of which I have vast experience having done all this at a time before there were as many good options & when I had a much smaller budget) may not be worth it.

For the wheels/tires, just do the math. There are plenty of options . At one point I had a 124 Coupe with 215/60 tires on 14” Biturbo wheels, Konis and IAP (remember them?) springs with the upper plastic cap removed from the rear to level the car out. I am sure I would have been told that this would have never worked, my speedometer would be off, and whatever else. 99% of this is will be easily reversible if you change your mind.
Chris Granju
Knoxville, TN
'71 FIAT 124BS (pretty), '72 FIAT 124BC,'76 FIAT 128 Wagon(ratbeast), '85 Bertone X 1/9, '70 124BC (project), 79 X1/9 (hot rod in rehab), '73 124BS (2L, mean), '74 124 Special TC, '73 124CS, '73 124 Familiare