Koni vs Vick HydraSport

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
volzke
Your car is a: 1979 FIAT SPIDER 2000

Koni vs Vick HydraSport

Post by volzke »

Looking at doing the shocks project. Lots of love in the forum for Koni on soft setting. I see Vicks had their own HydraSport shocks. Has anyone installed these? Thoughts either way? I plan to stick with the current springs as I have no desire to lower the ride height. However, while I'm in there any other projects a person should do? Looking at upper/lower control arms and front wheel bearings. Figured may as well do as much suspension work at the same. Open to any thoughts or 'should do' projects while in disassembly more. Thanks!
'79 FIAT Spider 2000
So.Dakota
gchocevar
Your car is a: 1979 Pininfarina 2000

Re: Koni vs Vick HydraSport

Post by gchocevar »

Volzke,

When I restored my 79 spider in 2008 I replaced all the rubber and A-arms with stock components. After $11,000 of engine and body restoration I didn't want to spend another $600 on Koni's. Someone recommended the KYB shocks, which didn't do that much for my ride. I wish I would have spent the money on the Koni's.

A couple of years ago I decided to put Vicks springs on with the old KYB's. I am a weekend cruiser and do not race. Lowering the car an inch with these springs was a big improvement. I can go into a hairpin turns without screeching tires. I still wish the ride was a little firmer.

Sorry I can't answer the question about Vicks shocks.
Happy motoring!
Greg
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I went through all of this a year or so ago.
Koni's were on sale: $90 per shock. lowering springs from AR. Great change. These cars are not engineered for stiff shocks, but those that take the compression and damper the return (from what I have learned). The springs put it to the height Fiat designed these to be. no chatter at all like an overly stiff ride can give.
All bushings, ball jts and steering components replaced as well.

Great handling through turns; sits strong both front and back. It's not a Caddie, so I expect to feel some bumps.

You will hear from most that getting the suspension right is the best upgrade you can do and I certainly agree.

geo
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Post by geospider »

I got mine through tire rack
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Sus ... toModClar=

this is a decent price. I was lucky that they had a rebate going at the time.
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

i just finished replacing all bushing in front suspension and adding a pair of KYB's in place of Monroes. Have not had a chance to drive it yet, (still need to tighten up suspension bolts loaded), but we shall see. All i can tell you is that i expect a significant improvement and i am glad i did it since i found a broken bolt holding one a arm on.....

cheers
dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

Went from KYB's to Koni years ago. Love my Koni's with the 1" front sway bar. IAP red springs and 15" wheels. Car handles great.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
volzke
Your car is a: 1979 FIAT SPIDER 2000

Post by volzke »

Finished this project. Thought I'd give an update for anyone searching through threads for outcomes. Decided on the Koni Yellow on the softest setting. Overall I completed: New Koni Yellow Shocks, New Upper and Lower A-Arms with new bushings and ball joints, New Tie Rods inner and outer, retained original springs just blasted and repainted, New front wheel bearing kits, and new Achilles 122 tires 185/70R13. Very happy with the outcome. Handles well, I personally don't think it is too stiff. I opted not to do lowering springs as we occasionally have some rough roads in So.Dakota and I'd prefer to keep the extra inch of clearance. As always thanks for everyone's thoughts and experiences, makes the process of deciding which projects to tackle and with which combination of parts a lot easier. Ciao!
'79 FIAT Spider 2000
So.Dakota