Spring removal

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Rotoariesarecool
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Spring removal

Post by Rotoariesarecool »

I am currently redoing my suspension and I got everything down except for the spring removal/installation. Can someone walk me through this process as it is not something I want to get wrong. Thanks.
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Re: Spring removal

Post by tima01864 »

architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Post by architect »

For the front, I dropped the shocks and used this tool from amazon. Very easy! But be very careful, lots of stored energy. Watch your fingers!

OEMTOOLS 27200 Coil Spring Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00825PYBA/re ... aVHUNfetzH
78 Fiat 124
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

architect wrote:For the front, I dropped the shocks and used this tool from amazon. Very easy! But be very careful, lots of stored energy. Watch your fingers!

OEMTOOLS 27200 Coil Spring Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00825PYBA/re ... aVHUNfetzH
I have come to prefer this outer style with the safety clamps:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6L1QA6/re ... 456cd2a423
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Post by dinghyguy »

i used two outside screw type units designed for McPherson struts. The problem is that the A-arms prevented me from aligning them exactly opposite from each other on the spring, so when the spring compressed it took up a it of a banana shape as well. Unfortunately the banana curled the wrong way, making it a bit of a pain to get everything back in place. I ended up having to compress, try, fail, un-compress, realign the two pieces, compress, try, fail, un-compress….etc until i finally got it right. Not a big deal just some time.
If you are buying a tool i would suggest the one that fits inside the spring is better, and that is what Fiat used.

The other key tool is the jack to push the a arm up a bit after the spring s more or less right to be able to get the ball joint nut on.

cheers
dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I replace the compressor with chain after they are compressed when its tight like that. Then once the springs are loaded and the chain is slack they usually come out easily. I really don't like dealing with internal compressors as they can end up being a real bear to get out through the control arms on some cars plus wont be any good for the majority of cars out there which have struts. If you are only going to deal with the spider and never a car with struts then the internal may work out for some or else buy one of each type.

Sometimes I don't put the upper control arm back in place until after the spring is in and the lower control arm resting on a jack stand since its not needed until you install the knuckle and really just in the way if its hanging there.
Last edited by DieselSpider on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rotoariesarecool
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Rotoariesarecool »

*UPDATE* solved, this picture is all I needed: Image
came from another thread that the first replier on this one showed me. Finished about a week ago, thanks for more advice though I can always count on you guys!
zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Post by zachmac »

Rotoariesarecool wrote:*UPDATE* solved, this picture is all I needed:came from another thread that the first replier on this one showed me. Finished about a week ago, thanks for more advice though I can always count on you guys!
That is exactly the internal compressor I have and have used successfully several times (different Fiats)
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

You can also get by with a mcpherson style compressor. Here's how (careful, this method is not for the faint of heart!). Take the spring and outside of the car compress it with the compressors. Now take some steel wire and wrap it around the compacted spring to keep tension on it. Remove the spring compressors, fit spring in car. Make sure it's sitting snugly in the bottom control arm and the upper bushing. Take a jack an place it underneath the lower arm. Jack it up until the spring has nowhere to go save for where it should be. Now cut the steel wire.

The benefit is that the shock can stay exactly where it is, because on the driver's side taking that sucker out is a nightmare.