Suspension related stuff goes in here.
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

steering idler dismantling

Post by maxdog »

Hi
I decided to celebrate Spring thaw by refilling my steering idler . Removed the top but can't move the plate with the little vent valve thingys in it . Minor violence with a rawhide hammer did not work .What is the next step ??
The steering box is next , the filler is buried deep under the brake booster etc . A minor trivia note , the filler plug has a square head , the only wrench in my tool box that will fit it is 7/16 AF . The rest of the car uses Metric wrenches .
Cheers
Maxdog
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: steering idler dismantling

Post by TX82FIAT »

When taking the cap off the steering idler to change the fluid are you talking about the vertical plate where the fluid passes through as you turn the wheel. If the idler worked and was not making a whining noise prior to disassembly, I would not worry about moving that piece too much while still in car. If the idler was bound you would hear it or feel it with heavy steering. if there was oil in there that is a good sign as many run dry. You can remove the whole assemble if you have not done so and clean/rebuild. If the steering was working well and you have a good seal I would replace the oil and move on. On top of the steering box the square plug can be removed with a 5/16th socket. I'm pretty sure that is what I used four or five years ago when replacing that oil.

Side note: on current spider after seeing the price of some of the steering idlers and not really knowing the condition of used ones I went with a bearing idler and it has been great.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by maxdog »

Hi
Thanks for your prompt reply . I understood that you have to remove the top plate with the valves to refill the idler body .
Is this the case ??
Maxdog
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

Yes, plate needs to be removed. I most likely was thinking of the wrong fluid passthrough/wall internal to the idler and not the plate on top with the four valves. Are you having trouble getting the top plate off? Think I misunderstood issue. Put some cloth/rags around idler in case oil comes out and have a friend turn the wheel while trying to remove. If valve issue may be vacuum tight.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
MattiR
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider BS1 49498

Post by MattiR »

Hi maxdog,

When you have removed the three screws and the top plate, the lower plate with small valves comes out by pulling upwards. It could help to turn steering wheel
, if necessary.
Matti
Fiat 124 Sport Spider -11/71
MB 560SL- 87
kilrwail
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Post by kilrwail »

To work on the filler plug, I bought a 5/16" eight point socket from NAPA for $15. It works perfectly on the square nut.

1978 Fiat 124 Sport Spider - original owner
1977 Porsche 911S - track car
2022 Ram 4 x 4 - hauler
PCA National Instructor and Motorsport Safety Foundation Level 2 Instructor
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by maxdog »

My top plate with the valves refuses to move . It's difficult to get a grip on it to lift it or twist it .
Any suggestions, perhaps gentle heating of the damper body ?
Maxdog
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I just slid a thin putty knife under the lip and it flipped up.
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

Do not heat it, twist/rotate it side to side.
maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019

Post by maxdog »

Hi
Thanks to every one for their help and suggestions , I finally got the plate holding the valves off the damper body . I hadn't realised that this is a 1/4 inch thick flange . The problem was simple, the last person to strip the damper had used copious amounts of black gasket goo to seat the O rings on both sides of the flange; and to seal the bottom face of the flange to the damper body. It all came free after using lots of penetrating oil , and patience.there was a layer of old grease at the bottom of the damper which turns freely and seems unworn .
Perhaps I should have used my old mantra " If it ain't broke , don't fix it !!?
Now onto the next challenge draining the cooling system , flushing it before replacing all the hoses
Cheers
Maxdog