Replacing wheel bearings?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
nicktheviking

Replacing wheel bearings?

Post by nicktheviking »

I've read through the service manual section on this and I'm still unclear. I understand the theory behind a wheel bearing. I understand there is an outer and inner wheel bearing on the front hub. What I don't understand is how they fit together.

In addition, is there a how to or set of clear instructions on how to replace the wheel bearings?
kristoj
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000 Turbo

Re: Replacing wheel bearings?

Post by kristoj »

You need to invest in a good manual. I have the Brooklands manual and it is pretty good. You can also find a Fiat manual here: http://www.danielreinhardt.com/fiat/ServiceManual/, and check the section on suspension for wheel bearings. I would still recommend buying a manual with good ilustrations, photos, etc.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'56 Abarth 750 GT Corsa MM
'59 Lancia Appia GTE Zagato
'62 Lancia Flaminia 2.5 3C Convertible
'68 Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
nicktheviking

Post by nicktheviking »

kristoj wrote:You need to invest in a good manual. I have the Brooklands manual and it is pretty good. You can also find a Fiat manual here: http://www.danielreinhardt.com/fiat/ServiceManual/, and check the section on suspension for wheel bearings. I would still recommend buying a manual with good ilustrations, photos, etc.
I own the factory service manual, but it nearly skips over replacing wheel bearings.
kristoj

Post by kristoj »

The Brooklands manual details it much better. You basically remove the spindle nut (passenger side is reverse thread) and remove the hub. This is after you remove the calipers and rotors of course. The bearings will be inside of the hub. The outer bearing will fall out of the hub after the nut is removed. The inner bearing is held in by a bearing seal, which you will have to remove and replace. If your bearings show unsual wear, you will have to replace them, as well as the bearing races inside the hub. The race is the angled surface that the bearing rolls on. The races need to be knocked out with a punch and the new ones will have to be pressed in. Any machine shop can perform this service for a nominal fee.

Of course, the new bearings need to be packed with grease before reassembling everything. Follow the instructions in your manual for retightening the spindle nuts. You should also puchase new spindle nuts so you can stake them correctly.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
nicktheviking

Post by nicktheviking »

kristoj wrote:The Brooklands manual details it much better. You basically remove the spindle nut (passenger side is reverse thread) and remove the hub. This is after you remove the calipers and rotors of course. The bearings will be inside of the hub. The outer bearing will fall out of the hub after the nut is removed. The inner bearing is held in by a bearing seal, which you will have to remove and replace. If your bearings show unsual wear, you will have to replace them, as well as the bearing races inside the hub. The race is the angled surface that the bearing rolls on. The races need to be knocked out with a punch and the new ones will have to be pressed in. Any machine shop can perform this service for a nominal fee.

Of course, the new bearings need to be packed with grease before reassembling everything. Follow the instructions in your manual for retightening the spindle nuts. You should also puchase new spindle nuts so you can stake them correctly.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I sort of wish I had bought the Brooklands manual now!
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

Nick, put it on you Christmas list. Two manuals is the least we should have as they each will have their strong and weak points.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

there is no one do-all be-all service manual.

the procedure John just described is basic auto mechanics. there are a plethora of those books at nearly every over-the-counter parts store. I don't mean to demean..but there is a technique just in loading the bearings with grease. I doubt that even the Brooklands covers that technique.

Spiders are a great second car, one to be used for fun. also a great car to learn mechanics with. they are a great performing, well built simple car. Enjoy your learning curve! we all gotta go through it some time.
racydave

Post by racydave »

Maybee you should find some qualified help, cauz of the consequences...
nicktheviking

Post by nicktheviking »

??
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

Dave, I'd be willing to bet that Clark has had experience with wheel bearings before. Just not experience with Fiats. And hey, wheel bearings are wheel bearings, no matter what car they're on. A wheel bearing by any other name would smell as sweet. No wait, that's not the right quote.
Clark, I think Dave is just expressing his concern for your safety. Some of these guys are really hung up about this silly safety thing.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
kristoj

Post by kristoj »

I hadn't done wheel bearings since high school -- on American iron -- and I managed to get the Fiat done without mucking it up. Drove it all the way to the Poconos and back, sometimes hitting 80 MPH without any carnage!

Of course, I invested $10 in a bearing packer at Autozone (I had previously purchased a bearing/seal driver set when I did my pinion seal) to make the job a little easier.
John
'82 Fiat Spider Turbo
'70 Moretti Sportiva S2
'12 Abarth 500
'59 MV Agusta 250 Raid

Pictures of my baby!
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

A wheel bearing packer? What a nifty idea! I often wonder if Ron keeps these little inventions to himself to make me suffer. All I know is the boys in the shop got a kick out of watching me pack those bearings. :? I used rubber gloves and a whole bunch of goop (wheel brg grease). That was probably the nastiest job I've done on my Spider. :|
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

John.. there was no spot on the route to or from the FFO where 80 mph was legal. I presume you mean to say "nearly 80 mph". And, i have never used a wheel bearing packer. was it worth the $10 ??

Denise.. i gotta agree that packing those bearings are one of the dirtiest P.M. jobs one can tackle. I always remember that i have a box-0-gloves on the workbench AFTER i've packed my first bearing... LOL.
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022

Post by rlux4 »

The nice thing about the tool (other than keeping your hands cleaner) is how well it pushes all the old grease out.
When I was a kid, we used one that was home-made by my dad.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Ron, did you pack those bearings with the possum grease?