Steering box adjustment question

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
bobcity

Steering box adjustment question

Post by bobcity »

Hi,
I'm a new 79 Spider 2000 owner and just joined the forum.

My question relate to a steering abnormality and I want to try taking up some play. So it concerns the adjustment of the steering box.

First, the nut on top doesn't look like the picture in manual. Instead of a lock nut, I see what looks like, a black bakelite knob, about the size and shape of a locknut sitting on top of an adjuster nut. It has knurled edges and appears to be one piece, not nut and adjuster. Since it is very hard to get close to this adjuster, I'm not sure what I've got. So, is this familiar to anyone?

Second question, well it's just, what is the easiest approach to adjusting. do you try to get to it from above or below? I can get to it when I remove the air filter but there is no nut to grab with a socket.
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
So Cal Mark

Re: Steering box adjustment question

Post by So Cal Mark »

can you post a pic? the only feasible way to adjust is from the top. I use a crow's foot to hold the nut while I adust the slotted screw
bobcity

Post by bobcity »

I'll try. The camera is hard to focus down a hole like that. Slotted screw, yea, that's what I'd don't have.
pope

Post by pope »

Thats cool, so your saying that you can dial in your steering just like the exotic sportscars of the world? :roll:
pope

Post by pope »

opps
Last edited by pope on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcity

Post by bobcity »

I'd let you know if I new how to grip the knob to turn it.
bobcity

Post by bobcity »

Here it is ... can you see it? Have you seen one like it before?

bobcity

Post by bobcity »

Buzzer sound - OK time up!

Actually, it turns out, using some 12 inch long needle nose pliers, I was able to grasp the black knob and turn.

Surprise... it popped off revealing the long sought after locknut and adjuster.

I was able to tighten the adjuster enough that I think I solved my weird steering issue.

Now I could be out driving, except for that nasty hole in my lower rad hose.

Question: Do parts houses, I mean local B&M, carry things like radiator hoses for 79 Spiders. I ordered one from Vick's, but was just curious. Anybody have experience.

Thanks for help.
TulsaSpider
Your car is a: 1978 Spyder 124 2L

Post by TulsaSpider »

On the lower rad hose, they might be able to order one, however much easier to look at their selection, find one that will fit with a slight modification. I just did this when relacing all my hoses. It didn't take long to find one at all. Then I simple shortened it a wee bit! Of course flex hoses are functional but ugly!
How did you know which wat to turn the adjustment?
Did you make sure it was full of oil??
1978 Spyder 1800 make that 2L! Finally making real progress!
rlux4
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 2000 Spider

Post by rlux4 »

I've had no trouble finding the hoses at Autozone. Not only hoses, but they've either had or got in one day quite a few of the things I've needed.
Ron
Ron Luxmore
rlux2n2@gmail.com
'82 2000 Spider: after 26 years between Spiders.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

flex hoses should be considered a temporary fix until the proper hose can be installed
bobcity

Post by bobcity »

Well I went looking today, in my town. Car quest had an upper hose, that was the only thing I could find. Went to 2 places. Interesting thing, no one seems to have air cleaners either. I used a substitution I found mentioned in this forum under maintenance. They used that number to cross reference their brand and eureka it worked great.

Anyway, I'm off topic.

I just turned the adjuster to the right...righty-tighty I guess it works in Italy too. Got to check the oil too.